Speed matters little in the tree if it means an injury.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122734 by treeman
Climbing trees as a professional is one of the most dangerous professions around. A simple miscalculation, like kicking a stump can mean your life is changed. It sounds like your friend was not tied in with a rope or he wouldn’t have fallen.

A lesson to be gained here is to never be off rope- even on a simple move up in a tree. As for being quick in a tree, the lists of once quick tree workers now injured or dead are long in the profession of tree cutting.

I would think it more respectable to be viewed as not so quick in the trees but one that is careful and wise in one’s movements while aloft. It only takes one small error to be grounded from the joy and adventure of tree climbing be you a professional tree cutter or first time climber out for an adventure. Pay attention to what you are doing and enjoy life longer.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• monkeypuzzle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122737 by monkeypuzzle
I have to agree with Treeman. I've been climbing for about 20 years,(kinda born in the saddle) deal for me, and being speedy can/and will get you hurt. Maybe not this month but just when you get comfy with everything disaster will strike.
Tallahassee has lost two climbers in the last 6 months. Both cut thier lifeline,they were using only one. Ya gotta use two with a chainsaw.Saving time with only one tie in. Thats what they thought. On a lighter note, GREAT tree site. Are there any of the yellow "get high climb trees" tee shirts left? Mine are getting dirty. :(

• arborcarejosh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123090 by arborcarejosh
Replied by arborcarejosh on topic My condolences and reply
My sincere condolences go out to the injured/retired climber desribed above.

I use climbing lines and lanyard and can still be fast AND safe - It all depends on your experience and knowledge of wood.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 2 months ago - 20 years 2 months ago #123282 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Cable lanyards
Cable lanyards have no use for the recreational climber. They are heavy, stiff, and cumbersome. I personally use one during removals- but that is professional work, not rec. climbing. One more thing- cable lanyards CAN be cut with a chainsaw quite easily if they take a hard hit. You can survive a grazing blow from a saw using a cable lanyard. While blocking down trees I use a cable lanyard at belly height, and a rope lanyard as back up at knee level.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123455 by jimw
Sad to read about the injured climber (actually, sad to read about anyone getting hurt for whatever reason).

Reminds me, though, of the saying about aviators: "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots."

As Sgt. Phil Esterhouse used to say at the end of each morning roll call on Hill Street Blues: ". . . and remember--let's be careful out there!"

Peace.

Jim

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds