Eagle Boy Scout dies after falling from zip line

• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125347 by TreeTramp
I was very sad to read about this death knowing that a harness should have been used.

10:22 AM MDT on Friday, June 24, 2005

Adam Atchison Idaho's NewsChannel 7

An Eagle teenager died Wednesday after falling off a zip line while on a Boy Scout camping trip in rural Adams County.

According to the Adams County Sheriff, 17-year-old Jeffery Kenneth Lloyd -- known as Kenny -- died after falling several feet, landing on his back and hitting his head when a piece of rope got caught in the zip line’s rollers. He was pronounced dead before he could be airlifted to the hospital.

"Kenny was just doing what Kenny always did," said father Jeff Lloyd. "He always wanted to make the best of it and have a lot of fun."

Kenny Lloyd, his younger brother and the rest of the church Boy Scout troop went camping on private property about nine miles southeast of Council, Jeff Lloyd said.

The zip line they were riding was about 15 feet off the ground. Generally, a zip line is cable strung between two trees on an incline. The rider holds on to a handle and slides down.

Jeff Lloyd described his son, who would have been a senior at Eagle High School this year, as an outgoing young man and said he has complete faith in the Boy Scout leaders that attended the camping trip.

"Kids are going to be kids," he said. "Kenny was a very outgoing and energetic person. I don't hold anyone responsible. It was an accident."

Kenny Lloyd's funeral, set for 11 a.m. Monday morning at the Eagle LDS Stake Center, will be open to the public.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128015 by SRT-Tech
any idea what pulley they were using? or what rope for the zipline?

sad to hear about such a young kid dying......:(

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128038 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Boyscout Accident
I think that I read some additional Info on this case and it is one of those cases where the "we have always done it that way" was part of the problem. Just because you have climbed something many times does not warranty that an accident will not happen the next time you do it.

He was not wearing a safety harness or saddle or helmet just hanging from his arms above his head. It does not take a very high elevation to cause a mayor head injury. Fifteen feet off the ground is plenty dangerous and it will kill you as was demonstrated in this accident. I a m surprised this was a BSA Troop "sponsored" activity but it occured in a "private" property so the regular training and safety controls required by the local BSA-Council were not in place.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128128 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic crazy
I cant tell how many hours I've spent on a zip line platform sending people off for a 250' ride. It's scary to think of them just holding on. Didn't anyone ever ask, "what happens if you let go?"

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds