Google News - Frequently Has Tree Fall Deaths

• jimk123
  • jimk123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125922 by jimk123
I have Google set to search topics related to tree climbing. I get daily updates via email. Today I have two reports of kids falling from trees. I've had previous reports of the same.

My kids aren't frequent climbers, but most of their climbing has been dDRT. I feel unnerved watching people free climb.

The free climb is a spontaneous act of a free spirit, yet it's so dangerous. To climb on rope is rather involved. However, the safe view is spectacular.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125924 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Google News - Frequently Has Tree Fall Deaths
My pet peeve…
There is a 1500 acre public woodlands area that starts two blocks away from my house. Occasionally there are people going through the woods with quads & minibikes. Kids building forts, a little paintball gun activity. One might find the remnants of small campfires littered with beer cans. Just what you’d expect to find in the many wooded areas in this suburban community.

There are a number of kid-built tree houses. Some of them are quite impressive considering the limited materials a bunch of 11-14 year olds have to work with out there. And you know darn well the little buggers free-climb during the entire construction project. It’s actually amazing more kids don’t get hurt!

Getting to my point here…
So why is it that if my son Joe, or any kid, free climbs a tree with no head protection, no training, no clue… Its just fine. Its just little Johnny playing in the woods.

However, if me, or you, or even little Johnny dare to throw a line in the same damn tree, we are looked upon as trouble, a cause for concern. Something the other kids, paint ballers, minibike riders, and beer drinkers will be sure to report back to their friends & family about. Next come the curious and eventually the police.

Side note…
My daughter at age 9 has spent her share of time at height in the tree boat (fully supervised at all times) and will no doubt, in several years, gain the skills to safely solo climb. This summer my Wife (of all people) ventured into a treeboat. (Ahh, the wonders of bull rope and triple pulley rigging) <snicker>

So…
Eventually me or perhaps my entire family are going to get “busted” for real. Not just a run off a patch of secluded public land, but busted and taken away! So much for family values. :(

I guess you could say “The Family That Climbs Together, Does Time Together”

Just Venting,
Electrojake

P.S. JimK, Thanks for posting that. You are right on target with your concerns for safety. Especially for kids!

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125925 by treeman
Headlines:
Tree Climbing Family Hauled Away

What a break from the really terrible stuff. Possibly the making of a new urban legend.

I really do not think that will happen. Our jails are currently overcrowded.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
18 years 6 months ago - 18 years 6 months ago #125934 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Google News - Frequently Has Tree Fall Deaths
EJ,
A couple of ideas:
Could you get written permission to climb?
OR
You could go completely stealth like we talked about in the another previous thread.
OR
You could join them and climb with a paintball gun and shoot or return fire from up high in the tree.(sorry couldn't resist this one)-hahaha.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds