• ponderosa
  • ponderosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128753 by ponderosa
Rendezvous '07 was created by ponderosa
Hello All,

I've been enjoying the pics of the MS Rendezvous. Looks like a great time was had by all. We'll try to keep the momentum going in 2007.

Just wanted to send out a preliminary heads-up about the 2007 Rendezvous.

-Dates: Wednesday, August 29 – Monday, September 3 (Labor Day Weekend - allows for extra day, higher elevation site, snow can come mid-September)

-Place: Cal-wood in Jamestown, CO
http://www.calwood.org/
about 30 minutes from Boulder, 1 1/4 hours from Denver International Airport.

-Site description: Over a thousand acres of hills, stream valleys, and hidden groves. Lots of medium to old growth ponderosa, from 300-500 years old. Some good size Doug firs (for CO), about 100', with lots of surfing opportunities. Some hidden canyons and emergent/ridge opportunities. Few hardwoods, such as aspen and cottonwood. Elevation 7800ft/2377m, same as my house for those who've visited.

-Transportation: regular buses from DIA to Boulder ($10) - we're working on the rest.

-Accommodations: Eight cabins with total capacity of 64+, linens included, plus camping/treeboating.

-Cost: We're working on that, but it looks reasonable.

-Programs/workshops: So far - BTCC with Abe; Tree-time with Tim; Conifer hazard assessment with Peter; Rogue Climbing with Joe; climbing excursion to "Lancelot" (lanceleaf cottonwood) in Ft. Collins; Tree myths, legends, and storytelling around the campfire with Harv et al. Something from New Tribe...
(any other volunteers, suggestions? Let me know.)

-Publicity: am planning lots, both domestic and international. Any help appreciated - let me know.

That's all for now. Hope you all can make it.

-Harv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128781 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Rendezvous '07
I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I just might drive there...

Anyone wanna carpool? I have a hybrid, so gas to CO will cost like....$6.59 :D

Have rope, will travel.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128782 by pantheraba
Replied by pantheraba on topic Rendezvous '07
Yeah, I'll ride with you , Nick...stop by here on the way and pick me up. :D :D

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128785 by nickfromwi
I'll have to do the math, but I think it still might be cheaper for me do drive from Los Angeles to Georgia to get you, then on to Colorado, then BACK to GA and back to LA than it would be to fly round trip from LA to CO.

I'll get back to you on that on. :)

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128807 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Exact location?
Harv, do you have Google Earth? I punched in the address of Cal-wood into Google Earth and it gave me a intersection where it looks like CR 87 sorta stops/just becomes a much smaller road, but this spot also intersects with a few other roads. I notice straight to the right/east 1/2 mile there is what looks like it could be the place. Any thoughts?

I've attached what I came up with when I put in the address.

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128808 by nickfromwi
Here's a pic...

THe yellow line is exactly .5 miles long

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128809 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Rendezvous '07
Sorry about that. I meant to take the "Is this it" banner out of the woods. Didn't know the satellite was taking the picture at that time. Oh well.

Nick, that is on the property, but not the main lodge and cabins, which is about a half-mile north of the building in your pic. You can see the main parking lot at the bottom of your pic and the dirt road which leads east to the main climbing areas. I'll have a map for participants.

I was up there yesterday to do some more pruning in "Tango" the DRT-BTCC tree. Also saw some very old ponderosa (though not very tall) just west of the main lodge.

-Harv

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128813 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic Rendezvous '07
this sounds like fun. i might be able to combine a family visit in Colorado Springs with the rendezvous. could take the biodiesel truck and ride on vegi-oil to make the trip free??? tempting!

More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128814 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rendezvous '07

Originally posted by Sitka
this sounds like fun. i might be able to combine a family visit in Colorado Springs with the rendezvous. could take the biodiesel truck and ride on vegi-oil to make the trip free??? tempting!

Go bio-fuel! Love that stuff.

I'm creating a wide space on my calendar so I won't let work mess up my chances of going (again). I have my 06 Rendezvous cancelled flight available to reschedule.
-moss

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #128817 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Satellite of site
Here is a link to a nice satellite pic of part of the site. Nick's circled buildings are on the bottom/left-of-center of this pic. The actually main lodge and cabins are in the cluster of buildings about 1000' north of that. Zoom in for a close-up and/or drag the photo in any direction to move around. Main climbing areas are up the road to the NE, past the "Map" and "Satellite" boxes. Wooded area on lower right is actually a mountain ridge with some good emergents.

http://tinyurl.com/yy9ppb

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 3 weeks ago - 17 years 3 weeks ago #129418 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Rendezvous '07 registration is open!
Hello All,

Details have been worked out and we can now open the 2007 Rendezvous for registration. I hope you all can attend. The official dates are August 29-September 3. I hope most people will consider attending for the full Thursday - Monday morning (Wednesday evening is primarily for BTCC and instructor/site set-up.)

There is one price, $320, which includes all meals, staying on-site, and insurance. There are some dormitory-style cabins available, and one set aside for women. Space in the cabins is first come, first serve, as registered. Otherwise, there are three camp sites with outhouses, treeboating, and RV parking. For those who like more upscale accommodations, Boulder is only about 20 minutes away.

There will be many free workshops offered. Abe Winters will be teaching the BTCC. There will also be a climbing excursion to Fort Collins offered for Saturday (limited spaces), to climb "Lancelot" (one of the state's largest lanceleaf cottonwoods) and "Grace" (Jill Reynold's English Elm), along with a trolley ride between the two, and an ice cream social at Grace, courtesy of Jill.

Workshops will be Friday and Sunday, Saturday is for the Fort Collins excursion and/or for climbing at your leisure.

I've put together a flyer about the Rendezvous. I would appreciate everyone's help in disseminating information and publicizing the Rendezvous to your local media and communities. If you would like me to email you the flyer, let me know. You are also welcome to use the website below for publicity. Thank you for your help in this.

Click here for:
Rendezvous information and registration form

For questions, please email me at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
17 years 6 days ago - 17 years 6 days ago #129527 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Dunlap workshop added
Tom Dunlap will also be presenting a workshop at the Rendezvous entitled - "SRT Innovations - Up and down on a single system"

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129695 by Duff
Replied by Duff on topic Rendezvous '07

Originally posted by NickfromWI
I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I just might drive there...

Anyone wanna carpool? I have a hybrid, so gas to CO will cost like....$6.59 :D

Have rope, will travel.

love
nick

I just registered and am definitely looking to carpool if possible.

Everything that was to happen had happened and everything that was to be seen had gone. It was now one of those moments when nothing remains but an opening in the sky and a story—and maybe something of a poem. Norman Maclean

• ponderosa
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129701 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Dan House demo added
Dan House will be demonstrating some new tree entry tools (and maybe other fun stuff) at the Rendezvous.

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130138 by jerseygirl
Replied by jerseygirl on topic Rendezvous '07
OK - car pooling would be nice - add atlanta ga to the stop list

really once in denver - help me here how would one get to cal-woods. bus car carrier pigeon?

thanks for any information - new traveler here

jz

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds