how do i get into canopy reseach

• sgalvi
  • sgalvi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
16 years 1 week ago #131334 by sgalvi
how do i get into canopy reseach was created by sgalvi
Hi. I am a professional tree surgeon working in the U.K. I love climbing trees but fancy a change. I was talking to a friend who told me about canopy research but I have know idea how to take it further or who to talk to. I spent some time in the jungle a phew years ago and would love to go back as part of a Scientific teem.
Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated. Thank you, Stu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 days ago #131370 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:how do i get into canopy reseach
Hi Stu,
I tried searching the net for canopy research in the UK and didn't come up with much. If you find anything in the UK I'd be very interested to know!

Michael

More
15 years 6 months ago #132029 by caldera
Replied by caldera on topic Re:how do i get into canopy reseach
well i've joined this forum, and hope to get into tree climbing, for this very reason.

I'd say you'd have to do an environmental science/conservation biology degree @ uni

or atleast go talk to those folk.

what jungle have you explored ?

I really wanna get into tree climbing over in Borneo, study the canopy,ect.. in an effort to halt the destruction of these amazing eco-systems.

More
15 years 5 months ago #132347 by treebeard
Replied by treebeard on topic Re:how do i get into canopy reseach
michaeljspraggon wrote:

I tried searching the net for canopy research in the UK and didn't come up with much. If you find anything in the UK I'd be very interested to know!

Michael

Here are two websites that give some information about canopy research interests in the UK and beyond.

The Global Canopy Programme http://www.globalcanopy.org/index.php

Canopy Access Limited http://www.canopyaccess.co.uk/

Lots of information and I haven't had a chance to look at it all yet...

James

More
14 years 11 months ago #133404 by Ceiba
Replied by Ceiba on topic Re:how do i get into canopy reseach
If you want to do scientific research in canopies, you'll want to either do it through a University yourself or work with a scientist who is studying the canopy. I'm currently researching tropical canopy epiphytes (plants that live on other plants) in Panama and can tell you that there aren't that many canopy researchers out there. One website to try is the International Canopy Network (ICAN) in Washington State, USA. There is a list of current research, education, outreach etc. (http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/ican/ican/)

Good luck!

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds