Old Growths - Fidalgo Island, Skagit Co. WA

• wahoo101
  • wahoo101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123765 by wahoo101
Need to adjust a teenagers attitude? Get them up a tree. My son, Logan, was having a bad day but I talked him into climbing a 140' Fir and by the time the climb was done and we were walking out of the woods, he was soaring with eagles again. A couple of nice things happened, too - about 15' from the top, I happened to glance up and watched an Osprey, clutching a small rodent, launch. It scolded me for disturbing his lunch - beautiful birds! Waiting for Logan to ascend to my level, I started squeeking on a piece of pink survey ribbon, making a 'dying rabbit call', and was rewarded in just a few minutes with a coyote chorus from a pack in the woods not far off. Hope to call them in closer next time...Some of these trees are so awesome - their limbs are sometimes 12-14" in diameter - not hard at all to find a nice place to settle in for some of that incredible "treetime".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123813 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic WHAT!?
I've had a close encounter with a grey fox while setting my lines when I first started solo climbing in the wilderness. I was scared out of my wits, and since I had just launched my last slingshot weight a billion miles into outerspace (the mono line snagged upon firing breaking the weight off), I was without any way to defend myself should the little bugger be rabid and decide to have a taste of me. Luckily he just wanted to learn a little about recreational treeclimbing and took a perch on a stump some number of feet away to watch me set my lines for a quick ascent. Pretty cool.

A pack of coyotes on the other hand would have scared me out of my wits. I think I'd switch to a owl call and call owls in instead of packs roaming predators. Bring your tree boat and plenty of food, I hear they like to wait for a meal. I guess tearing the flesh from your body is much more fun when you are starving!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• wahoo101
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123819 by wahoo101
Replied by wahoo101 on topic Coyote calling
Fear of the woodland critters? We have called in coyotes a number of times and once they get close enough to catch a good scent of you, they pull a disappearing act and like, vanish. The owl call sounds more dangerous as the great horned is one of the most fearless and vicous hunters in the woods. We have those over here, too. I've thought of tying a fish to a limb up high and rigging a line to make its tail flip up as bait to lure in an eagle or an osprey. That should get us some nice photos should it work. Say, does anybody use a full body harness with a mini-ascender attached to your climbing rope at the chest? It seems that would enable one to really relax wherever you wanted on the way up. Otherwise, I am having to hook an arm around the rope. We climb with saddles from New Tribe and they are quite comfortable with that exception.

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123834 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Full Body
I've thought about getting a chest box and harness to use when climbing with a backpack.

I think it would help alot. Anybody know how to fashion a chest harness out of webbing loops?

We have been trying to get a good view of a blad eagle, I'll have to try the fish bait!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123837 by Rod Justice
Replied by Rod Justice on topic Old Growths - Fidalgo Island, Skagit Co. WA
I use the wide-back chest strap that OnRope1 sells, it's about $50. It's far more comfortable that the cross-back strap I tried.

I had OnRope attach a strap and quick-release snap to the back bottom of the harness (they charged me $25, worth every penny) so that I could hook it to my saddle to make it all one contiguous unit. It would probably be more comfortable and easier to put on and off if I had two straps, offset to either side instead. I'll try it that way should I have to reorder one for some reason.

You can hook the front loops to your delta if you use a New Tribe saddle. I use a Buckingham saddle and run the straps I hook to the spreader through the front loops. It works best for me to pull all straps tight, partiuclarly the back strap. Being heavier above the waist, it makes all the difference in the world. I spend my energy climbing rather than simply hanging on to the rope in a futile effor to stay upright. It does, however, make a wonderful way to kick back and relax no matter what your body make-up is. Lean back, adjust your footloops to the right position and viola, instant airborne recliner!

Be warned. If you use that fish flop, tree humping technique that Abe Winters does, forget the chest harness. You won't be able to lay back enough to thrust your hips upwards.

Rod Justice

• stevebullman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123839 by stevebullman
Replied by stevebullman on topic Old Growths - Fidalgo Island, Skagit Co. WA

Originally posted by Icabod
I've thought about getting a chest box and harness to use when climbing with a backpack.

I think it would help alot. Anybody know how to fashion a chest harness out of webbing loops?

We have been trying to get a good view of a blad eagle, I'll have to try the fish bait!

Climb Safe!
Icabod

just a thought, but couldn't you attach a short length of webbing across your chest attached to your ruck sack straps and attach an ascender to this?

• Tear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123844 by Tear
If you really want it just for when you're resting and want to be upright, you don't really need ascenders on it. You could sew a really simple design of webbing loops for your arms, a band across your chest, and something to hook a biner that would loop around your climbing rope.

Josh

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123847 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Yep
Josh,
I tried that, but the runners wanted to slip up and choke me.

I do hip thrust mostly, though only high enough for the footlock to work properly lately.

I'll keep trying.

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123848 by jimw

Originally posted by Rod Justice
I spend my energy climbing rather than simply hanging on to the rope in a futile effor to stay upright.
Rod Justice

FWIW, the first saddle I had, a New Tribe medium, put my center of gravity high enough that my body wanted to go horizontal--I had to hang on to the rope or "fall over." I talked with Sophia about that, and we decided that I would try the small size, even though the sizing chart indicated that the small would be 2-3 inches too small.

I barely fit into the small: the attachment loops barely touched when I was cinched in quite tightly. But the COG was lowered significantly, and my body easily stayed in a more-nearly upright attitude.

Now, I've lost an inch or two around the waist (diet and exercise--not a tight saddle!), fit the saddle even better, and am glad I tried the small one.

Peace.

Jim

• wahoo101
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123855 by wahoo101
Replied by wahoo101 on topic Old Growths - Fidalgo Island, Skagit Co. WA
That was a great book, THE TRACKER! If I could just figure out how to not ever get cold like he did. Amazing. Went to your site, Ox, and you have some great treeclimbing shots! What a heritage to pass on to your kids. I have a son that lives in Port Angeles and hope to get him up in something in the area. A tip for anyone looking for new rope - try www.benmeadows.com and look at Fly Climbing Ropes: 1/2" static - 200' for 116.00, 600' for 338.00. If anyone knows better prices let me know - I need a 600' chunk.

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123856 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Tracker
It sure does help to be able to control your body temp, when you are 100+ft. up in a tree. If anyone wants a true connection to nature and thyself, I highly recommend checking Tom and his Tracker School out. I've been aloft in some pretty intense weather and being able to get into "the zone" (through some meditiation excerises that he shares) has helped me to experience some intense moments with what the "normal" person wouldn't want to deal with but the trees always do. (The secret is to surrender)
I've even got some of the instructors to spend the night up in the trees.
His school is another great way to connect to nature!
http://trackerschool.com/

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds