Made my first climb

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124952 by moss
Made my first climb was created by moss
With all the help on gear advice etc. from this forum and the reference pages on the TCI site. I was able to pull together enough equipment and technique to make my first climbs this weekend.

My plan was to test out knots, rope, and DRT ascent and descent, staying close to the ground. I picked up a New Tribe saddle, 120 ft. of Blaze Poison Ivy, a shorter length of orange Blaze for making split-tails plus various 'biners to hook everything up.

The tree is a huge (I think 80+ ft) and scary Honey Locust in my neighbor's yard which I've been studying from my third floor kitchen window for years. I tied in on the first limb which is roughly 30 ft off the ground. The limb is massive in its own right, around 28" diameter. I improvised a bark saver with a length of old garden hose which worked well enough for my purposes but which I won't try again since I had to re-position it several times and I understand that it would melt under "real" climbing stress.

On my first day I went up bounce/walking off the trunk using body-thrust technique. Tough work, I think I got a little smoother after a few tries. I never went higher than 20 ft which felt about right for my beginning climb. My neighbor got bored watching me really quick when he figured out how safe it was :-)

On my second day I added a Prussik/footloop made from some 8mm line. That was nice! Much less effort required, I can see that this technique has some sustainability over a day of climbing :-)

General gear comments
For knot reference I used Jepson's "Tree Climber's Companion". The Blake's hitch is a beautiful thing (as you all know), felt very secure going up and was very controllable for slow descent (as adverstised).

Since I have nothing to compare to all I can say about the Blaze Poison Ivy (11.5mm) is that it's very nice to work with, I'm happy.

I'll have to upgrade the delta screw link on my saddle to a pear. The delta is a little tight with more than one biner attached to it.

I used a 12 oz throwbag, seemed like overkill with zing-it line. On my third shot it went over a way-to-high crotch in the locust and then through a Norway maple before the bag landed. No windows were broken :-) I'll have to check out some lighter bags.

I found the "straddle" throwing technique much more controllable and accurate then the "one-arm", at least for short throws. More practice is needed.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm planning on visiting TCI Founder's Grove this spring to explore going higher etc., looking forward to it!

-moss (happily a small amount off the ground)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124955 by icabod
Replied by icabod on topic Made my first climb
Thats what it's all about!

Congrats on your first climb.

Climb Safe! Stay in touch.

Icabod

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #124962 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Made my first climb
You might be in the market for a HEAVIER throw bag. Lighter bags will go higher, but have a harder time making it back down to the ground.

After some practice you'll refine your technique.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds