Woods climb

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125042 by moss
Woods climb was created by moss
Did my first climb today in a wild tree. I used a two wheel cart made with 16" bicycle wheels to carry my gear into the woods. The snow is still 6-12" so I had to work a little in the deep spots. I followed some deer tracks, they were picking out an easier trail.

It took me a little while to find something right for beginner work, most of the trunks go pretty high before the branches start. As expected for wild stuff many trees had significant dead limbs or damage. While I was sizing up trees a Pileated Woodpecker showed up, did a little drumming and calling, and moved on. I took that as a good sign, they aren't as common around here as they are in more southern woods. I finally found a nice looking oak (maybe chestnut oak) with some sturdy limbs starting around 30 ft.

Installed a false crotch (New Tribe, not my home-made one) with biners on a 12" diameter branch and practiced going up using a footloop and then worked on my semi-lame body-thrust technique. Funny how the higher I go the more I look at my knots :-) I went up and down a few times, going higher and a little less fearful each time. By the time I packed up and was heading out the moon was throwing tree shadows on the snow.

So far so good. Hope my beginner tales aren't too boring for the veterans.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125047 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Woods climb
Moss ,
What were you carrying in the cart a Ladder? Just Kidding.
I did a wild solo-climb today myself and it is great to move by yourself w/ all the needed gear in a backpack and rope in a New tribe rope bag. We had a great day clear weather in the 80's today and could not pass the opportunity for this climb.:D

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125048 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Woods climb

Originally posted by Oldtimer
Moss ,
What were you carrying in the cart a Ladder? Just Kidding.

Since I didn't have a particular tree targeted I didn't know how long I'd be lugging my pack so I went easier on myself and used the cart. It's a pretty small cart so I definitely can't fit a 32 foot ladder on it. Maybe if it was standing straight up....

You're at 80 degrees already? Toasty!
-moss

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds