Finally got onto a branch

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125059 by moss
Finally got onto a branch was created by moss
Continuing my accounts of newbie climbing...

I climbed this past weekend with a friend Joe who's an arborist. This was my first opportunity to work with a climbing partner. Joe inspected my equipment and knots and declared it ok. He had a good laugh at my zing-it throwline which he referred to as dental floss. His line was heavy duty and nice to throw, makes sense for everyday arborist work.

We chose a sycamore maple, a beautiful tree with big twisting limbs and plenty of tie-in opportunities, and put our ropes up. After I installed my rope w/false crotch I decided I didn't like the way the branch joined the limb, had a strange bend at the union. I reinstalled on a better looking branch.

Joe did an excellent demo of footlocking up a doubled line, I went up with a footloop. I actually got myself onto a branch which is a first, I've just been going up and down on my first few solo climbs. I tried out my homemade lanyard, made it 22 ft, the extra length came in handy. I also put a pulley slack tender on it which worked well.

I practiced three points of contact with the tree, well actually it was total contact since I was clinging to the limb like a baby monkey when I first got on. Joe coached me on using opposing tension from the lanyard and main rope to adjust my lateral position as I moved up. Note to self: put a slack tender on my main rope/friction hitch. I found myself using my teeth at one point to tend slack. Some refinement of technique is in order :-)

Joe trimmed a few dead branches with a hand saw (the tree's in his yard), that was good to see how he tethered the branch with a web loop before dropping it.

It felt good to get up into the branches, it's a lot friendlier than hanging in mid-air. Going down I stayed in contact with the limb and trunk (which had a good lean) and used the lanyard and main line to keep me balanced, basically scooting backwards down the trunk.

Joe's wife made some awesome sardine sandwiches which we inhaled after a good workout in the tree.
-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago - 19 years 1 month ago #125075 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Finally got onto a branch
Good for you! :D

Welcome to the Club.

That must have been a good feeling. The first climb and limb walk. Baby steps at first but you'll be flying through the tree in no time.

I've read stories about rock climbers puttin ropes in their teeth. The bad ending is when they slip and tear out their teeth. If you're going to use your mouth, just "lip" the rope. It will fall out if you slip and not take teeth along with the rope.

Slack tenders are wonderful. I posted pics of the snap that I use for a slack tender. I don't need a pulley.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds