• tengu12
  • tengu12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125313 by tengu12
Tree Climbing at the World Expo 2005 was created by tengu12
Konichiwa (Hello in Japanese)
As some of you may know Tree Climbing Japan has a strong and respectful treeclimbing community and for them to have an exhibit at the 2005 World Fair is not of much surprise, that was until I arrived in Seto Japan and got to experience it first hand.
I had been traveling the USA for the past 2 months (on a move from Ga. to Oregon) teaching and climbing with some wonderful folks and learning the whole way. I had an awesome climb in a virgin forest in New Jersey where Einstein use to go for deep thought. Another was a magical climb on the "Climbing Hill" located just minutes away from New Tribe in Oregon and other countless but beautiful climbs between the 2 coasts.
But, upon my arrival in Oregon, I got a message from John Gathright (Founder of TCJ) that Tree Climbing at the World Expo is becoming a hugh success and it would be worth my time to come experience it first hand along with the opportunity to help facilitate tree climbing at the "Growing Village".

36 hours later I was on a flight to Nagoya Japan. After a 12hr flight, 1hour train ride, and a 1 hour subway experience I arrived at the Kozoji station to big hugs and warm welcomes from John and his family. After many bows and smiles we headed off to the Miso Barrell Tree House (Johns home in the mtns. of Seto Japan) to swap stories about the past years climbing experiences and where we saw tree climbing in the future.
We talked business and how to improve our tree climbing programs and the international climbing scene but during our long talk and longer laughters I found myself drifting into a somber cloud of jetlag. It was time to hit the tatami mats and go to sleep. I was awoken thru out the night to the sounds of flying foxes and wild boars running around just ouside the walls of my Miso Barrell or perhaps it was the sound of Tengus sword fighting on the roof. Either way I was in Japan and was excitied to see what tomorrow would bring.
The next morning I awoke to a bowl of miso soup, rice and some eggs which sure does beat any waffle house food (for you tcc readers) After breakfast I headed off to the EXPO with 2 of the Japanese Tree Climbing facilitators - Chicaka and Anason. When I arrived at the climbing site there was another facilitator busy placing ropes in the 2 trees for the day climb. 2 treeboats were strung up between the trees and there were about 6 ropes in each tree. For the sake and respect for the trees there would only be 24 climbers allowed to climb per day (every 3rd day the trees were allowed to rest and no climbing would be allowed). Some of the branches were covered in burlap to lessen the impact of the tabi toes jumping around. The first group of 8 climbers ranging from 7yrs old to 50 yrs old showed up at 11am. After an introduction from each other and a brief intro on climbing we did some some stretching excerises that even Richard Simmons couldn't top.
Now it was time for the new climbers to learn their safety knots. I now believe
that perhaps it is easier to teach knots by doing and showing instead of explaining how to tie one, these guys caught on fast.
Chicaka led the climb and she did a wonderful job of teaching all the rules and showing everyone the ropes.
Even though I couldn't understand the language I got a great grasp on their heart. These facilitators are world class! Now it was my turn to help, I got up into one of the trees and it was my job to help get folks into and out of the treeboats (no Japanese language necessary, just smile and point) what a thrill it was to be working with the public on the other side of the world. It just proved to me that tree climbing is truly a magical experience that knows no boundries - in the past I've worked with and taught professionals world wide but never with another countrys average "joe" I was welcomed by all and I was in awe by the welcoming.
Several photos and a few hours later the climb was done for the day. I was exhausted and this was only day 1. For the next 8 days I would be repeating this wonderful experience along with making some new great friends and sharing tremendous experiences.
Even though I am now back in Oregon I know that our tree climbing roots reach and support each other worldwide, like a healthy forest. No matter where in this world if a child is climbing a tree a smile is sure to follow.
For more information on what John and the TCJ gang are up to at the World Expo you can check out his web site
http://www-1.expo2005.or.jp/en/venue/experience04.html

I will be posting some pictures soon of my experience with the Growing Village and with my new climbing friends.

A special Arigato to Kana 1 for helping me with the Japanese langauge and taking time out to show me around. (Its Aka not Baka)

Domo Arigato

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tengu12
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125314 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Tree Climbing at the World Expo 2005
Heres a link to Tree Climbing Japans web site with a few photos from the EXPO climb. Its all in strange code but the pictures are fine.
http://www.treeclimbingjapan.org/phtglery.html

click on the first photo

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125316 by charlieb
Replied by charlieb on topic Tree Climbing at the World Expo 2005
Great pics.
Learned anything from them that can be done here in the U.S. to improve the sport, the training or to promote it better? (i.e. bringing training or expos to areas of U.S. that do not currently have much-I live in LA and there's nothing here)
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

• tengu12
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125323 by tengu12
Greetings Charlieb,
The one big thing that I was aware of in Japan, that I don't see much of here, is the recognition of everyone. From the most advance instructor to the first time climber, EVERYONE was recognized as tree friendly people.
I'm working in close realtions with TCJ and will be hosting an International climb sometime in the near future in Oregon.
But, don't forget about this years Rendezvous in Oregon. Hope you can make it.

Heres some extra photos of my TCJ and GV experience. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did living it.

Tree-spect!

http://homepage.mac.com/treekster/rtcr/PhotoAlbum17.html

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125328 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Tree Climbing at the World Expo 2005
Thanks for posting all this tengu, great to see so much acceptance and enjoyment of tree climbing in Japan.

I've been on the fence about making the Oregon rendevous from a time and money point of view. After seeing your Japan photos I'm starting to think it's a must attend event, even if the idea of SRTing up a big doug fir makes me a little queasy :-)
-moss

• tengu12
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125343 by tengu12
Greetings Moss,

You really should try to make it out to Oregon, don't worry about the BIG Doug Firs as there will be plenty of friends/guides that are very experience in SRTing and will be taking the time out to make sure you are safe (both physically and mentally) the whole time you're aloft. I don't know of any other place, within the tree climbing community, where you'll be surrounded by so much expertise and warm hearts. We are a new tribe after all. Plus I'm sure you won't be the only one with a healthy respect for heights.

Sorry I missed you at the TCI BTCC. If it would have been a month earlier we would've met.

Hope to see you and everyone else in Oregon this fall.

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds