• tengu12
  • tengu12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125583 by tengu12
Tree Climbing Japan was created by tengu12
TCJ is at it again.
Heres a link to their most recent Basic Tree Climbing Course (BTCC).
Keep up the great work!

http://www.treeclimbingjapan.org/phtglery.html

click on third photo

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125591 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Tree Climbing Japan
Total inspiration, thanks for posting it!

Tengu, do you have any comment on the acceptance of tree climbing in Japan vs. U.S? Do you think the number of new climbers in Japan is more or less than the U.S. (per population?) Maybe it's just the number of students in the class but it seems like there are quite a few people taking the BTCC's in Japan. Either way it's very encouraging.
-moss

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125594 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Tree Climbing Japan
Good point...
Here in the USA we are always doing Ninja climbing and worry about Park Rangers or Police yanking us out of trees, etc...
How goes it in Japan?

Would a Japanese park ranger spotting a recreational tree climber in a secluded area, on rope, in a tree, consider the climber a "menace to vegetation"?

• tengu12
  • tengu12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125599 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Tree Climbing Japan
Greetings Moss and Electrojake
Ill try to answer your questions,

First let me tell you that tree climbing is very well accepted in Japan . It seems to be becoming a household word. I remember standing in line at a grocery store in Japan with my TCI shirt on and a very polite lady asked me if I was John san(TCJ Founder). She saw the logo and was very well aware of the tree climbing community. Thru my translator (Johnny Gathright Jr.) she explained that she had seen it on TV and to her all caucasians look alike, we shared a laugh and when I left the store I think I heard her do a tree howl (similar to our tree bark).

Tree climbing in Japan is handled a bit different then other countries.

First- the words "tree climbing" does not really translate in Japanese. Picture the image of a "tree climbing" something. TCJ members are considered "Tree Friendly People". They (facilitators/instructors) are required to do several hours of forest service and be active in their local community forest. All the climbers love the responsibility, the public loves them and the government seems to be giving them the thumbs up. TCJ is currently working with the government and their forestry dept.
As far as climbing in the local forest - all TCJ graduates are presented a tree climbers license (after completion of the BTCC) and are granted permission to climb in certain forest thru out Japan. If the park ranger spots them all they have to do is show their climbing card (which proves they have been taught proper climbing techniques and environmental care by TCJ). One example of their care and respect for the forest floor is that before and after every climb in the wild they gather extra leaves and debris to place at the base of the tree to help prevent soil compaction. Anyone climbing who can not provide a climbing card- well?, I don't know what would happen to them.

Second- it is fairly new in Japan, and to my understanding, before John came to TCI for training, there was no one doing any type of technical tree climbing. Even the tree doctors (Japan's version of Arborists) were using scaffolding to access the tree.

Third- when John did introduce it to Japan it was as therapy for the physically challenged. Which brought a lot of media from around the country. Only later did it grow in popularity with the Japanese families.

Tree climbing is a "family activity" in Japan just like going to the movies here. On my first trip to Japan John and his wife, Hiroko, held a tree climbing party in honor of my arrival. Only TCJ facilitators and Instructors (with their families) were invited. There must have been close to 50 folks that showed up and this was just the Nagoya gang.
While observing their climbing style and techniques I became in awe of the family bonding that was taking place. We're not talking about Mom watching Dad and the kids climb, we're talking about Mom placing the ropes for Dad and the kids and then leading the climb. It was AWESOME!

Because Tree Climbing is so hugh in Japan, no telling where its going to go, but with folks like the TCJ gang leading the way it can only go deeper into the hearts of everyone and everytree.

Hope this sheds some light on our fellow tree tribe members on the otherside of our beautiful planet.

PS- If there are any tree climbers out there that are interested in going to Japan for some tree climbing, let me know, as I would be willing to put together a Japanese Tree Climbing Expedition some time next year.

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 9 months ago - 18 years 9 months ago #125602 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic TCI Japan Report/Pictures
Tengu, Thanks for the updates. I have been visiting their site for quite a while and have read some of the stories from their climbs. I see how they have more support from the governmental Organizations and the Public in general maybe the fact that they are accustomed to 'socialize' in groups and families. The "Friend of Trees" idea also helps. We are more individualist and competitive people in our culture. So getting together in large groups to do stuff like climbing trees is not "common". We relate Tree Climbing w/ tree cutting and lumber cutting mostly. That is just my limited experience from meeting a few climbers here in TX. Maybe things change later on when RTC becomes more of a "regular" main stream activity but we will have to deal w/ other problems like rules and regulations to control the activity.
My two cents!
FYI , I would be interested in a trip to Japan Next Year that would be a great Once in the Lifetime experience for me!.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds