Favor climb - the barter system

• Baker
  • Baker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 5 months ago #134103 by Baker
Favor climb - the barter system was created by Baker
Yesterday I completed my end of a bargain I struck with some friends of mine. In exchange for an old set of drums (vintage, circa 1960's) I climbed their 50 foot white Oak and trimmed back some branches that were hanging over their roof, removed some widow makers and dead limbs, and then installed a way-cool tire swing for the kids.

The tire swing rope is a section of old (never used) poly dock rope I got from my parks department - 1-1/4" diameter! as I climbed with the length of dock rope attached to my harness and trailing behind, I became aware of it's 60 pound weight - what a workout!

Pics to follow - if they send them to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #134104 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Favor climb - the barter system
Not very good quality, but I tried to blow it up to show the diameter of the black rope hanging from the left side of my harness! You can barely see the top of the figure-eight knot at the bottom edge of the pic.

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Baker.

More
14 years 5 months ago #134142 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Favor climb - the barter system
Well maybe next time you'll use a haul line to drag up a giant rope. But then again- a photo op is worth the workout- right?

Zoom back out on the photo so we can see what you are hanging. Good choice on rope too- that poly doesn't stretch much at all.

Oh yes. Drum brand name was..............What kind of finish? Gotta see what ya climbed for. Photo preferred.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
14 years 4 months ago #134171 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Re:Favor climb - the barter system
How did you attach the rope to the tree?

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Baker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #134175 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Favor climb - the barter system
treeman wrote:

Oh yes. Drum brand name was..............What kind of finish? Gotta see what ya climbed for. Photo preferred.

The drums are Tempro Pro and the 6 and 8" concert toms are Royal. Tempro was an export badge made in the 60s and early 70s, in the original Pearl factory here in the U.S.

This is how they looked when I first got them:

Then, after adding some hardware...

After searching for matching hoops and tuning lugs, I replaced the resonant heads too. (What ever possessed people to take these off, in the 70's, I'll never know!

And this is what they look like now...I'm really happy w/ the way they sound.

As for the swing rope...I tied a good ole figure eight on a big bite and slipped the standing end through it, forming a girth hitch around the limb.

Sorry, can't do anything about the climbing picture. It was originally from a camera phone and the quality is way low.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by Baker.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds