Winter scouting

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 3 months ago #135074 by 2chops
Winter scouting was created by 2chops
I was out walking the dog today. We had 4" of snow the other day, so the trail was quiet and the weeds were beaten down by the white stuff. It was nice because I had a better line of sight than usual. The area I was in has a ton of Japanese Knotweed everywhere a tree isn't. So I'm going along and I see this big sycamore with a new eye. I climb in this grove often, and I've spotted this tree before. But as I was checking it out today, I can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't climbed it before. It's about 115' tall, about a 70' apread with a sound trunk and no easily discernable dieback on any of the branches. Good twig complexity.

So I guess my point is that now may be a good time to revisit some of your usual haunts and take another look. If it's too cold for you to venture up, It's perfect for a good stroll in the woods. No tics, no PI, no snakes,...and probably a better line of sight. It's all about taking a different perspective of what may have been right there in front of your face all along.

Happy hunting.

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #135076 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Winter scouting
Great point Ron, winter is THE time to scout for new trees to climb.
-AJ

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago #135077 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Winter scouting
I agree, winter is the best to look for trees to climb. I have spent several days this winter setting pull lines in trees (I use cheap braided mason's line) that I will come back and climb in the spring. The lack of leaves and general die-back of other warm weather barriers listed above helps. It also seems that you experience less hang-ups and snags when using the throw bag and throw line.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds