Safety

• Woodduck
  • Woodduck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #139573 by Woodduck
Safety was created by Woodduck
Just now back on my feet from a bad fall in August. There is a tree here in N. Florida that they call a "Hackberry". I was trimming limbs for a friend of my wifes and was up about 40 feet. The tree diameter was at least 15 feet. It is an oldtimer. I saw no reason to suspect it, but I soon found out that I needed to look closer.
The limb I was on was about 24 inches around at the trunk. It was green and leafy and looked sound. I made the mistake of trusting it and untied my main line to reach the trim point. BIG MISTAKE!!!
The limb broke at the trunk and dropped me on my chain saw. Broke the Pelvis and the Hip socket. Lots of screws, wire and staples and they patched me back together. I looked at the tree later and found that the tree was almost dead inside and the limb was only connected to the trunk by a thin layer of Cambium. The heart was rotten and gone.
The Lesson here for me is "NEVER UNTIE MY MAIN LINE UNLESS I AM TIED IN AT TWO OTHER POINTS !!!". I am lucky to be alive. I am 67 years old and was reminded of my Dads saying. "There's no FOOL like an OLD fool" .
Well, this old fool is going back up next week. Just got a new Yale line and looking forward to getting back up there.
D'ont be a fool like me ! SAY SAFE. Woody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #139574 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Safety
Gee, Woodduck, you sure got lucky. Glad to hear you're back up and climbing after your serious accident. Thanks for posting about it here.

We agree with the lesson you learned, but we think it's just as important to inspect the tree thoroughly before you climb it! I see you wrote that it "looked sound," but clearly that wasn't enough. Have you read our article on tree inspection? (It's in the "All About Tree Climbing" section of this site under "The Tree You Climb"). I think you'll find it useful.

All the best,
Patty

• Woodduck
  • Woodduck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #139578 by Woodduck
Replied by Woodduck on topic Safety
Thanks . I'll look at that article.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds