Nyssa sylvatica - Black Gum

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #131820 by moss
Nyssa sylvatica - Black Gum was created by moss
I made my first climb in a Black Gum (or Tupelo) on Sunday. I've been eyeing them for a while and finally got to climb one. A fine tree with interesting crown shape and friendly limbs. The older ones have a different look and bark texture than the young ones, looks like a completely different species. Usually grows in low areas or on the edges of wooded swamps.

This tree has a DBH of 28\", height approximately 75 ft. first branch around 40 ft.

More climb photos

Same tree in winter

-moss
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #134640 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:Nyssa sylvatica - Black Gum
There are a couple of these in one of our local parks that I've been eyeing up for possible use as my teaching tree/s. The nicer of the two is 76' tall with a 35' dripline spread. I'm hoping to get permission to do an ariel inspection of this one. Any opinions on using a Black Gum for facilatated climbs?

Ron

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
13 years 10 months ago #134644 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Nyssa sylvatica - Black Gum
2chops wrote:

There are a couple of these in one of our local parks that I've been eyeing up for possible use as my teaching tree/s. The nicer of the two is 76' tall with a 35' dripline spread. I'm hoping to get permission to do an ariel inspection of this one. Any opinions on using a Black Gum for facilatated climbs?

Ron

Awesome climbing tree. The more mature specimens are best, they develop beautiful massive lateral limbs. Younger black gum can have fairly skinny limbs, still strong but not as inviting to climb. If the black gums are in good health and structurally sound they would be excellent facilitating trees.
-moss

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #134884 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Nyssa sylvatica - Black Gum
I'll get a chance to climb a Black Gum real soon on a farm near my home. The tree is huge with large twisty limbs. I believe this shaded a small cabin near by just like the large Silver Maple on my property. The foundation sandstones can be seen within 30' of the base of the tree just under a cover of leaves.

The trunk of the tree is probably close to 48-52" maybe larger and I can only guess about the height and age. The crown is very wide and inviting. This particular Black Gum is a true time traveling old growth tree. It will be around long after I'm gone.

I'm sure the tree would have been cut down over 50 years ago for firewood but as some may know Black Gum is almost impossible to split, even with a gas powered splitter. Not even worth the time to mess with for firewood unless you can get by without splitting. Even after seasoning for a couple years it is still nearly impossible to split. So the farmer let it be and grow to the wonderful size it is today.

This local Black gum is very healthy and just needs a little prep to get it ready to climb. I can't wait.

I'll also try to get a measurement on the base.......
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by greenluck.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds