Platanus occidentalis - American Sycamore

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #135130 by greenluck
Some of the largest trees in my area are Sycamores. 90-130' tall and 3'-7' trunk diameters are not uncommon with this tree. Smooth bark. Usually found around water, streams , rivers, and lakes.

http://www.americanforests.org/resources/bigtrees/register.php?details=3949

One of my favorite local Sycamores

Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by greenluck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #135134 by 2chops
LOVE the sycamore! The biggest tree I ever climbed was one of these. It was 6 1/2' dbh, 137' tall and a spread of 95'. I was tied in at the 120' mark and just totally diggin the view. I'm goin back to do it again this summer.

I originaly found mine while doing ROW notification and pulled into this little pull off area for lunch. I about drove into the creek when I saw this monster. Plus the fact that it has a twin only 25' away! WHEW!

Even though you always need to be cautious the 1st time you go up any tree, The sycamore is one that you can feel confident with. They rarely fail. Great height, spread and I've always liked the "camo" pattern of the bark.

When I go back and visit "Homer", named after the owner, I'll be sure to get pics and post them here.

Thanks for sharing.

• greenluck
  • greenluck's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #135136 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:Platanus occidentalis - American Sycamore
Sycamores are just nice trees.

Here is a local monster. My guess is around 5-6' in diameter. A truly massive time traveler.

This one is located in a small park area between some RR tracks, a canal, and a river. There are several nice trees in this park including a huge black gum which can be seen in the background of the last photo. I have not attempted I climb here yet, but I will.

Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by greenluck.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds