Central Ohio Climbing

• mattoh
  • mattoh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 7 months ago - 20 years 7 months ago #122729 by mattoh
Central Ohio Climbing was created by mattoh
Hello,

I am a newbie climber in Central Ohio, looking for climbing freinds and partners. I completed the IBC in July, and have been climbing every week since then....all solo climbs. Just looking for like minded folks to climb with once in awhile, my tree or yours....

-Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123115 by wolfclawatecclr
Replied by wolfclawatecclr on topic Central Ohio Climbing
mmm, how central in ohio are you, Im in NW penna and work for asplundh tree ex co, and enjoy a rec climb rather than a work climb every now and again. im also a ( knoter ) and know most all quick knots, hitches, bends, frition hitches, ect.

wolfclaw
kane, penna.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #122931 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Central Ohio
I'm located in Columbus and look forward to climbing opportunities as it warms.

• mattoh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123265 by mattoh
Replied by mattoh on topic Central Ohio Climbing
Jim,

I am in Worthington, And cannot wait until the weather warms up a tad. Had my stuff out just the other day, drooling a tad. Maybe once the weather breaks we can hook up for a climb. I have a few places I go, not too many....YET! I did get permission from the park manager at Sharon Woods last year, might need to check back with him this year. I might have a few more trees if he gives me the go ahead again this year. let me know if your interested, that applies to all central OH folks. Maybe we can make a run to hocking hills or something, just a thought.

-Matt

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123276 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Central Ohio Climbing
In Columbus, keep Highbanks Park in mind for scheduled off trail hikes. There are hidden tree wonders there. Climbing access is unknown. For sure Hocking Hills is a great choice for this region. They're receptive to the cliff climbers there. Matt, we'll connect by May. By then I'll learn how to post my email in my profile.

• mattoh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 3 months ago - 20 years 3 months ago #123277 by mattoh
Jim,

Sounds like a plan....I've been all through High Banks, and have noticed many vertical adventures waiting to be had. I found out last year, that the rule for Columbus Parks is "there is no rule against climbing tree's, but they will ask you to come down if necessary." I figure since there isn't a rule, what does it hurt to ask, at least that way you have their blessing ahead of time and they will leave you alone. The park manager at Sharon Woods did ask that I try to limit my tree top activities to "off peak" days, and to call him first before heading out to climb, and he would let his staff know I was there and they wouldn't bother me. I figure a little pre work will save a big headache later, and allow me to climb in the future if I stay in the park folks good graces....so far no problem, w'll see what this year brings. There are a couple oaks at the Sharon woods office site that I would love to spend the day in...they are certainly some impresssive trees, and spending some quality time getting to know 'em would be a day well spent. Hope we can touch base by May and get together for a climb.

To save you the hasstle of trying to post your e-mail addy...here is mine This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123227 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Central Ohio Climbing
My son's boyscout troop is working with Buckeye Trails to clean trails in the Hocking Hills area. I'll do some scouting and inquiry on that venture.

• mattoh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123416 by mattoh
Sounds like a plan to me......I have been getting ready, but I recently changed jobs so I have had ot get used to a schedule change. Hope to be up top soon!

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 2 weeks ago - 20 years 2 weeks ago #123584 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Buckeye Trail
Matt,

The BuckeyeTrail runs 1300 miles through Ohio. Apparently the 7 mile hike and trail repair that I took didn't have decent trees. This is just east of Chillocothe. Though we were on a beautiful ridge, there was a high number of dead trees - to my surprise and disappointment.

I did a brief Sycamore climb today to get toned up. Unfortunately, I'm on a schedule that doesn't free me up until late May. Stay in touch.

Regards,
JimK

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 day ago - 20 years 1 day ago #123678 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Dawes Arboretum in Newark, Ohio on 1st of May
I'm passing on second hand information here. Abe and company will be at the Dawes Arboretum in Newark, Ohio on May 1. There will be a climbing exihibition.

Regards,
JimK

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124525 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Good to Hear About a Climbing Opportunity
Jordan,

I'm just 2 miles down Liberty/Smokey Row from you.

I'm in Highbanks on a frequent basis, but I haven't mustered the courage to discuss tree climbing.

A Zanesville grove is appealing. I'm out that direction frequently. How far from Dawes Arboretum are you?

It seems that all climbs have to first meet at a Waffle House. Do we have any of those restaurants between Columbus and Zanesville?

Just to start communications, the email that I post in public forums is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Regards,
Jim

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124526 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Establish a Service to Parks
Jordan,

It will be interesting to see the outcome of discussing tree climbing with Highbanks. As Matt noted in a previous posting, Sharon Woods has accomodated his request to climb.

I've wondered if offering a service to the park would be a successful strategy. Personally, I'm not interested in cranking up the chainsaw for the purpose of cleaning their enormous aerial clutter. However, they may have an interest in arbor and habitat investigation/installation.

For the other readers that venture into this. Highbanks has a beautiful rolling topography cut by being at the foot of the Wisconsin Glacier. It resides at the Wisconsin Glacier moraine It was a popular indian site, dating back to the ancient days. The park side of the Olentangy River has a steep rising hill that looks out over a flat valley. At the peak is an ancient indian village where they mysteriously built a mound and moat on the circumference. My belief is that this served the village like a refrigerator. Live fish could be kept in the moat until eaten and or used to lure in the larger animals. The mound would give the hunter a strategic bow shot. Also on the park grounds are two indian burial mounds. One of the largest diameter sycamore trees in Ohio resides there. Lastly they operate an educational nature center.

Regards,
JimK

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124530 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic helping a park
I know that other people have provided help to parks in exchange for climbing access. I climbed with Tom Otto in Washington last year. The area that we climbed was part of a community park. The climbers cleaned damaging vines off several trees and continue to monitor them. They don't get hassled when they climb because they help out the trees.

• mattoh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124535 by mattoh
Just hauled it in from work, man the roads are way bad!

My climbing was cut short last year, life! Can't wait until spring to get out and climb again. I will definitely go to highbanks and ask for permission. I kind of know a few of the rangers, and I'll see if they will give me permission, if they waffle, I'll see fi maybe a trade for work can be struck. Hopefully they give me the go ahead and we'll all be set for some vertical fun. I'll let ya know how it works out. Might even check this winter.

If either one of you would like, my e-mail addy is:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Hope we can hook up when the weather warms up.....

-Matt

More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124537 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Ranger Rick
I had success with the rangers when I cleaned out some of the dead wood over major trails. It gave me a chance for an easy access climb and not needing to hide when someone came down the trail. I always had a groundie around to clear the trail, answer questions, pass out information, and keep onlookers at bay when I brought stuff down.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds