• tengu12
  • tengu12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
19 years 4 months ago - 19 years 4 months ago #124420 by tengu12
Looking for East African Climbers was created by tengu12
Greetings,
I'm heading to Uganda this coming spring to do some tree climbing in the Kibale National Forest, I just received my permit and it is only good for the first 2 weeks in Feb. Since I'll be in the part of the world I'd like to get in some other climbs perhaps in Kenya, Madagascar (would love to climb with the Lemurs) or Tanzania after I leave Uganda.
If there is anyone out there who would like to hook up please drop me a u2u.

Adventure-UP!
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125682 by gabriellemerten
Replied by gabriellemerten on topic Looking for East African Climbers
Hello Tengu, perhaps you can help me - I am trying to find out which African trees (east/south) are good for climbing. Are Jackalberrys any good? I suppose thorn trees are too prickly. I live in Australia but need this information in relation to some research I am doing. I would be very grateful for your opinion, Gabrielle

• tengu12
  • tengu12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125683 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Looking for East African Climbers
Hi Gabrielle,

I personally have not climbed any Jackalberry trees. I am aware that their bark is tough and flakey which can be rough on the hands. What I can recommend is that you climb close to the trunk while making sure your climbing rope is over a live branch that is at least 6 inches in diameter. Be sure to use a cambium saver as this will make climbing easier and will cut down on the amount of bark flakes falling into your face and most importantly it helps protect the tree you are climbing.

Jackalberry's can have some nice beautiful spreads where, away from the trunk, the branch structure can become quite weak. Beware when doing switch-overs and/or branch walking.

These trees don't grow very tall but the view from above, I assume, is very rewarding as you'll find most of them in open spaces.
I would be honored to climb and spend some time where the giraffes do some aerial grazing.

What kind of research are you doing?

****Even if you are only going up 4 meters I'd highly recommend using a rope and harness. (Are you a technical climber or a free climber?)

Hope this helps. Please send us a report on your experience and your findings.

Adventure-UP!
Tengu,

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125684 by gabriellemerten
Hallo Tengu, thanks for your reply. Truth to tell I am unlikely to get to Africa to do any climbing but need to know what trees are best for climbing there. I am writing a story in which a characater is keen on tree climbing. She goes to Africa and climbs various trees so I need to know just what trees she would be likely to tackle. If you know of any other suitable climbing trees there I would love to know what they are, Gabrielle

More
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #125685 by gabriellemerten
Sorry! I didn't answer your question - free climber as is my character. Though most of my cllimbing was years ago when I was younger. G

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds