Climbing in NY

• dannyc
  • dannyc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129091 by dannyc
Climbing in NY was created by dannyc
Just found out about rec. tree climbing. Have been climbing for about 20 years, was an arborist for over 12 years. Anybody do any climbing anywhere around Albany or interested in getting together for climbing elsewhere in NY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129092 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Zoar Valley Old Growth in New York

I am a Danny too but live in Kansas.

There are some climbers around your area and if no one responds soon I will search for them.

Until then can you tell us if you have climbed in an old growth forest in your parts named: Zoar Valley in the Allgeheny Mountains near Gowanda, New York.

Link to the old growth forests at Zoar:
Zoar Valley Old Growth Trail

This is a have to go see area for me.

See you at the top,
Dan

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129485 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Climbing in NY
Treetramp, I've been drooling over Zoar Valley for the last year. Have been too busy to make the trip but things are opening for this summer, (it's a good 8-9 hour drive I think for me). When I do I will be sure to post.
-moss

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129495 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Climbing in NY

Originally posted by entmount
. . . am pretty amazed that there doesn't seem to be any regional clubs or the like. . .

Greetings entmount,
While breezing through the thread I noticed your comment relating to the fact that there are no climbers clubs and such.

I’ve been REC climbing for several years (in New Jersey) and have come to realize that we are a rare lot indeed. No climbing clubs, no open groves, no freelance climbers. Nada.

I would say there are about 75 to 100 of us nationwide. I only know of two other climbers in NJ and one of them is actually a working arborist, not really a REC guy.

Welcome Aboard.
Stick around and help us increase our numbers! :)
-Ej-

• dannyc
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129517 by dannyc
Replied by dannyc on topic climbing in ny

Originally posted by entmount
Hey there Dan!
I am completely new to tec. climbing, but have been an avid free climber since I can remember (grew up in eastern Pa with an 80' oak in the backyard and spent most of my childhood up there...) I 've recently discovered tec. climbing and must say I'm pretty obsessed with the idea of it. I've rapelled and thorougly enjoyed it, so I know I'll get the hang of it very quickly as soon as I get some gear. I'm an hour n.w. of Albany, and am pretty amazed that there doesn't seem to be any regional clubs or the like, like there seems to be in the n.w., Ga., Co., etc... Would love to connect.
Eric

• dannyc
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129518 by dannyc
Replied by dannyc on topic climbing in NY
ENTMOUNT

Nice to finally hear from someone in NY.
I have the best job in the world and it allows for a lot of free time. I do tree pruning and removals on my off time but i always make time for climbing for fun. Let me know where you are and we should easily be able to get together.

Talk to you soon
Dannyc

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129569 by mykeyreader
Replied by mykeyreader on topic Climbing in NY
just found out about tree climbing for fun myself, and really want to give it a try. i live outside of rochester new york if you ever feel like taking a newbie out who loves the trees.

• dannyc
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #129619 by dannyc
Replied by dannyc on topic mykeyreader
good to hear from another new yorker. entmount and i just went for his first climb and he is hooked.
send me a u2u message and i'll get back to you so we can get together.
Dan

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129959 by randbo
Replied by randbo on topic Climbing in NY
yes, I'm located in Long Island, Ny by Northport, if anyone is a climber nearby, email me at randm at thevine.net

I'm interested in learning to climb, have rock climbed in service but like trees.

• dannyc
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129976 by dannyc
Replied by dannyc on topic Climbing in NY
Randbo

I SENT U A U2U MESSAGE E-MAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO GET TOGETHER.
DAN

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129994 by reuben
Replied by reuben on topic Climbing in NY
Hi Dan and everyone else.
I live in Nyack NY. I used to climb professinally for a stretch of 12 years. My ten year old son and I have been climbing recreationally for about a year now. He is getting pretty good at it. Would love to join in with some of you folks for climbs in the NY area this summer. Would be great to possibly do a weekend camp out.
I am really excited to have found this discussion on the board. Was great to read about the fun you guys had in Dan's back yard. Hey Dan, I'll look forward to hearing from you or anyone else.
Reuben :)

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129995 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Climbing in NY
Welcome aboard Ruben,
Good to see you post here at the TCI forum.
I too climb with my kids (11 & 14). I have had many great times on rope with them, both home and away climbs.

Getting back on topic. . .
Do you find good climbing trees in your area of New York? Do you usually have to travel far to find a nice spot to “family climb”?

Just wondering.
Regards,
Electrojake

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130009 by reuben
Replied by reuben on topic Climbing in NY
Hi entmount and electrojake,
Thanks for your replies. My son and I have been climbing in friends' back yards, our own, and we spent a few saturdays on a tree in the town's memorial park.
I am a member of a canoe club in Harriman Park (20 minutes from Nyack, right off the Palisades Prkwy). Talked to the guy incharge of the club property, who said I should talk to the park authoroty to make sure it is all cool to bring the ropes out. So that's about it. Haven't ventured far yet, but would love to. How about you guys? Any recommendations? I would'nt mind at all travelling up on a Sunday to the Albany area or to New Jersey.
I'll let you all know what I find out after I get a hold of someone from the Harriman Park authoroty. If anyone has any experience/tips on how to negotiate with county or state park folks give a holler.

Thanks, Reuben

• dannyc
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130015 by dannyc
Replied by dannyc on topic Reuben Climb
Hey,

Nice to hear from another New Yorker. I've responded to a couple but have not heard back. Entmount and I have gotten together several times to climb. You are more than welcome to join us. I have a couple of trees out back I use, and recently we have gone to a preserve nearby for a change. Check your u2u and e-mail me back

climb safe

Dan

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130118 by HooT
Replied by HooT on topic Where are all the NY climbers???
When I ordered a bunch of gear from New Tribe a while back and gave my shipping address, there was mention about all of the climbers in NY that NT sends stuff to... so I'm left wondering...

WHERE is everyone???

HooT

So many Trees... So little Time!

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds