Rhode Island Freeclimbing

• something not too generic but still anonymousish
  • something not too generic but still anonymousish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136198 by something not too generic but still anonymousish
Rhode Island Freeclimbing was created by something not too generic but still anonymousish
Hello everyone :)

Wow, don't think I've ever seen so many climbers in one location! I'm having trouble finding fellow climbers in my state, though. Does anyone freeclimb in/around Rhode Island? I looked at some "New England" groups but they only had 5 states listed, no RI :dry:

I've been climbing for years. Here are two pictures :)

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136208 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rhode Island Freeclimbing
I climb in Rhode Island from time to time, have some favorite spots. I know a bunch of climbers in Rhodie, they're all arborists, climb trees with rope. Although I can say confidently that everyone of them is an excellent free climber. Good tree climbers utilize a hybrid style, always with a rope in the mix so they can live to climb many more trees.

At any rate I'd be glad to introduce you to a roped climb, your free climb skills will help you.
-AJ

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136210 by something not too generic but still anonymousish
Replied by something not too generic but still anonymousish on topic Rhode Island Freeclimbing
I've never tried using rope. Doesn't it get in the way?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #136212 by moss

something not too generic but still anonymousish wrote: I've never tried using rope. Doesn't it get in the way?

Not really, it's all a trade-off, rope gives you access to much taller and more difficult to climb trees, and gives you greater 3-dimensional mobility in trees. Check out this photo of a friend climbing in Rhode Island, rope is giving him more freedom and mobility in the tree. He's 65+ feet off the ground and moving horizontally through the crown of the tree in a demanding but safe way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturejournal/8670412954/in/set-72157633295801861

-AJ
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by moss.

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #136216 by something not too generic but still anonymousish
Replied by something not too generic but still anonymousish on topic Rhode Island Freeclimbing
:ohmy: Wow, that's pretty cool! I'd definitely like to give that a shot. Maybe within the next few weeks? I've always been sorta scared to go "out on a limb" more than a few feet unless there were several other sturdy limbs immediately below. Climbing like in that picture looks fun.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by something not too generic but still anonymousish.

More
10 years 6 months ago #136217 by moss
I'll be in Atlanta for the annual tree climber rendezvous through Columbus Day weekend, we can work on scheduling some climbs after that.
-AJ

• Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #136254 by something not too generic but still anonymousish
Follow-up post:

OMG that was awesome! I'm going to climb e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g now! I feel confident in my ability to calculate unexpected swing-trajectories.

Though I will say that using a rope strongly alters my relationship with the tree. It feels different.

More
10 years 5 months ago #136255 by moss
Yep, it is different than free climbing but... increased mobility happens on rope. And you still get plenty of challenge, as much as you want to take on.

Let's climb again soon, there's more to show you technique-wise.
-AJ

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds