Conduit rope sleeves - again

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #133419 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
Hmmm... that's weird. I've never seen it on any of my ropes, probably have run many 1000's of feet through Dan House style sleeves. Then again I don't own any white ropes. I've seen discoloration from friction hitch burn/wear, it happens over time no matter how slow you go.

Rust? That's very strange. I guess none of sleeves ever get rusty. I use them in the rain but they still don't get rusty. I guess I dry them out well enough after.
-moss
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by moss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133462 by Oak
Replied by Oak on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
I get the (what I assume to be) zinc on my ropes as well. I'm using white NE Safety Blue and white PMI EZ-Bend. My conduit was from Home Depot.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133463 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
Oak wrote:

I get the (what I assume to be) zinc on my ropes as well. I'm using white NE Safety Blue and white PMI EZ-Bend. My conduit was from Home Depot.

Looks like white rope shows it. Home Depot conduit has a poor minimum bend radius, makes it difficult to keep it on the branch when you're installing it.

ErieBuoy posted this conduit spec a while back, it's the best I've used, a good balance of durability and flexibility.
-moss

More
14 years 11 months ago #133471 by Oak
Replied by Oak on topic Re:Conduit rope sleeves - again
moss wrote:

Looks like white rope shows it. Home Depot conduit has a poor minimum bend radius, makes it difficult to keep it on the branch when you're installing it.

ErieBuoy posted this conduit spec a while back, it's the best I've used, a good balance of durability and flexibility.
-moss

Thanks for the tip, I haven't had much problem installing my sleeves but I don't have anything else to which I can compare them. Once these sleeves are worn out/lost/given away I'll probably order some of the other stuff.

More
14 years 11 months ago #133472 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Only the Shadow knows!
I have seen the black ghost shadowing on ropes from some conduits. In my fantasy world I sent the blacken rope down to the NCIS lab where Abby was able to perform a Mass Spectrometer analysis which she determined by ion cyclotron resonance the black substance is indeed zinc oxide. But really I just guessed.

Critical thinking leads me to surmise that any moisture transferred off the rope or airborne humidity will react with some of the galvanize plating in select conduits. Over time the inner walls will darken and the longer unused the more the reaction. Upon use, the rope rubs the oxide off onto the rope and the lighter the color the greater the contrast.

If you are seeing red stains then your should discard the offending sleeve since you have abraded off all of the zinc coating and now are rubbing on the bare steel metal. Since longer rope life and clean ropes are both great benefits of using rope sleeves I suggest you replace them; preferably with the original new and improved official size and weight endorsed by Super Bowl Hall of Famer’s Dan House Rope Sleeves. Now available personally autographed by the inventor. I know it is a shameless product plug but hey the more people protecting the cambium layer the better I like it.

See you at the top,
Dan House

More
2 years 9 months ago #139767 by JMCanillas
Replied by JMCanillas on topic Conduit rope sleeves - again
I was checking on some advises and forum regarding best rope that I can use on tree swings for adults. Planning to purchase on at https://treeswingstore.com/adult-tree-swings/ and also planning to have DIY.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds