• ericnei
  • ericnei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123395 by ericnei
Camp Programming was created by ericnei
Greetings!

I'm looking at the program mix at the camp I run and tree climbing has my attention. I'm trying to do the homework I need to to assess this as a program option. If it looks viable, I want to put together a program proposal to float by my team. What I'm looking for is equivalent of "Tree Climbing for Idiots" book. Does such a thing exist?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimk123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123396 by jimk123
Replied by jimk123 on topic Suggestions to Get Things Started
Eric,

Concerning camp issues, you may want to regard a recent entry by Jmaher. It's located under General Discussion, and it's titled "Rec TreeClimbing vs ropes courses". Moreover, Jmaher wrote an article that may parallel your interests. It's found through this link www.outdoored.com/articles/Article.asp?ArticleID=160 .
To help you get down to the nuts and bolts of tree climbing, it's simple. You can memorize "The Tree Climber's Companion" 2nd Edition by Jeff Jepson. It's the most quoted reference source in these discussions. To purchase this inexpensive 104 page book, I'll recommend the website http://www.newtribe.com/ . Everytime I make a purchase through New Tribe they give me a reason to come back. They worked with me on the shipping charge of a single book. The "other guys" didn't. You'll find other tree climbing references at New Tribe, which I haven't read. However, it's worth checking out "On Rope" from the local library. It presents good mechanics on climbing, but it lacks the speciality needed for trees that Jepson adequately presents. There are US Government documents that present a blend of facts found by these two sources being referenced. If that's of interest let me know and I'll provide the links. The Gov Docs aren't focused on recreation and just provide more reading.

Lastly, you may want to contact the people found through this website that put on courses. Where you are working with the general public as clients, you really should consider rescue techniques as part of your camp credentials. The benefit is that you can provide a safe environment for unique fun.

Regards,
JimK

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123404 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Climbing as a camp activity
Hi. There are several camp programs that have set up tree climbing as an activity. One camp that I know of is Camp Cavell in Lexington, MI ( www.campcavell.org ). You could contact Jill, the director to get her thoughts on it. I'm involved with Arbor Quest Unlimited and we provide tree climbing for kids and adults with disabilities (and able-bodied folks, too). We do it at Camp Cavell and some other camps. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it off the forum if you'd like. You can email us at climb@arborquest.org .
Patrick

More
20 years 1 month ago - 20 years 1 month ago #123406 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Tree climbing program
You can contact Tree Climbers International as well as we design and teach those who are interested in adding a program to thier camp. We have a multi level training program where one starts with the basics and moves on to where they facilitate others to be able to climb trees safely. We have a clean record of introducing many tens of thousands of first time climbers with no accidents and intend to keep it that way- thus some high standards before we certify facitilitators and instructors.

Learning from a book is never a good idea. Going vertical be it rock climbing or tree climbing is serious with no room for error. Thus again- TCI's high standards of training. Not only do we not want people hurt, but we don't want the trees being climbed hurt as well.

Keep in touch. Contact us if you are serious about getting good training and a program you can be proud of.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123766 by abram
Replied by abram on topic Camp Programming
Hello Eric; Since you stated you are with a camp I am assuming there is other adventure/experiential programming; I.E. canoeing, backpacking, high ropes/challenge course, etc. So if I am right who facilitates these? What does there program consist of? Where did they get their training? Are you or any of the camp staff a member or members of TCI? TCUSA? AEE? ACCT? ACA? If you are concidering beginning a program for any age or ability oriented population you and your staff needs to be PROPERLY TRAINED and working with approved equipment! If you are great, but if not and the question you asked indicates you need to start at the beginning and not take an idea or something you read about and try to impliment a program. You may contact me at www.treeclimbingusa.com should you have any questions or contact Peter at his web site before you try to begin something and get yourself and or the camp into a bad way. Abe

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds