Would like to learn, Where to start?

• kokopelli
  • kokopelli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 1 week ago - 20 years 1 week ago #123641 by kokopelli
Would like to learn, Where to start? was created by kokopelli
I have 17 acres of pines behind my home. They need thinning and trimming. I had fun free climbing our Russian Olive trees and cutting them back. I've been looking longingly at the pines, but they're too STRAIGHT UP. How do I learn to climb. I live in Northern New Mexico. Als is the gear very expensive?
Thanks......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 1 week ago - 20 years 1 week ago #123651 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Would like to learn, Where to start?
If you're in Albuquerque or thereabouts, you're not too far from me. Check out my website, it might have useful info.
http://www.TreeClimbingCO.com

Harv

• kokopelli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 5 days ago - 20 years 5 days ago #123675 by kokopelli
Replied by kokopelli on topic Would like to learn, Where to start?
Thanks Harv,
I'm actually closer, by about two hours. Have checked out your website. Sounds like you have a lot of fun! Might sign up for one of your start up classes.
Cathy

More
20 years 3 days ago - 20 years 3 days ago #123696 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Would like to learn, Where to start?
Koko- I'm concerned that you are climbing AND cutting the trees. Maybe you should check out www.treebuzz.com where you can get advice about climbing trees AND pruning them.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• kokopelli
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
20 years 2 days ago - 20 years 2 days ago #123703 by kokopelli
Replied by kokopelli on topic Would like to learn, Where to start?
Thanks Nick,
I took a quick look at the "buzz" site. Looks like it could have some great information. Still doing research. Not going up into anymore trees untill I'm confident I'm being safe! Felt pretty cool while up in those Russian Olives. Hate to admit when I'm wrong. But, it probably wasn't the smartest thing to be up solo, no rope (didn't know about using one) with a chain saw. Yea! Very stupid!
kokopelli

More
20 years 2 days ago - 20 years 2 days ago #123704 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Would like to learn, Where to start?
Keeping yourself safe in the trees takes a while to learn. But there's more. If you are talking about cutting the trees, you need to learn how to trim them the right way.

Make sure you don't hurt yourself OR the trees.

Troll?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
20 years 15 hours ago - 20 years 15 hours ago #123710 by ponderosa
Replied by ponderosa on topic Would like to learn, Where to start?
Interesting about Russian Olives, though, Cathy. Up here, they're considered noxious invasives, along with Tamarisk/Salt Cedar. While it's always a bit of an ethical dilemma to fell live trees, Russian Olives crowd out both native cottonwood and sandbar/coyote willow in our riparian areas, reducing habitat opportunities for native avifauna. Fast growing and spreading Russian Olives also substantially dewater riparian areas, affecting downstream flows, streambed viability, and aquafauna. In short, except for a few special individuals, you might consider removal rather than trimming them back. thereby avoiding the risk of trimming up in the tree. A check with local conservation districts or ag agencies might give you better local info. Just my two cents.

Harv

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds