• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123760 by nickfromwi
Cicadas was created by nickfromwi
I love these little buggers!!!

It's been quiet around here lately. You all must be out climbing with the cicadas!

I was in a Black Tupelo the other day and it had a bunch of the Cicadas in it. They are noisy as a bunch, but have you ever heard the sound of just one of them? It's sorta pretty!

Any fun cicada stories? Anybody eat one yet?

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123762 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic Cicadas
You're right, Nick--it's kinda neat being in a tree and watching and listening to them.

I haven't eaten any (and probably won't), but for those who are interested, here are some recipes from the University of Maryland, via NPR:

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1866011

On this site, there are several links to other cicada-related stuff, plus an audio segment.

As an old guy, this is the fourth time I've seen the critters; quite a phenomenon.

Those of you who haven't witnessed them are missing something of nature that is pretty neat.

Peace.

Jim

More
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #123799 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Love dem bugs!
As a child I was quite the entomologist. I had one big insect collection. I was raised in Dallas and cicadas were a fact of life every summer. They always signaled the hot days of summer. Their shimmering sounds matched the heat waves. Remember those buzzers you could buy at a trick store where if some one shaked your hand they woudl get a surprise buzz in the palm of the hand? When you pick up a live cicada it is much the same because their loud buzz makes them almost impossible to hold with a bare hand. Theses bugs suck moisture from branches. I knew this as a kid (both my parents were naturalists) and often had nightmares about having my blood sucked out by cicaddas while tree climbing. It never happened. I used to flush these bugs out of the trees while climbing. They let out a loud buzz when they launch themselves. It was always a surprise because they are very hard to see with the naked eye. They know how to hide. As a kid I used to collect cicada skins and scare girls with them too. I would never do that now though. Right? Well, maybe, if I could get away with it. Some people never grow up in certain ways.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123821 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic Cicadas
I was pruning a massive white oak in the Baltimore area last week....tons of cicadas in that thing! I would go out a little ways on branch, then jump up and down on it...just shake the heck out of it to get all the cicadas off it....These bugs are harmless......unless a whole swarm of them make you lose your footing and send you swinging back to the trunk!

Why do 90% of the cicadas avoid the tops of the branches. I always see them on the bottoms of branches or on vertical branches.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123822 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Why the tops.
The top of a branch is high profile making them an easy target to see. Vertical wood would make them look like a knot or stub. Pretty smart huh?

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• Mutt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 10 months ago - 19 years 10 months ago #123852 by Mutt
Replied by Mutt on topic Cicadas
I love the waves of sound they make. I was in the woods the last time our 17 year brood came out to play, and was entranced by it. The buzzing would start in the east and, like a wave, travel west through the trees. Truly amazing.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds