Terrelogic Dryad Tree-Tent

• crazycarl54
  • crazycarl54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123957 by crazycarl54
Terrelogic Dryad Tree-Tent was created by crazycarl54
Has anyone used this thing and have any info/review/feedback? It looks too good to be true.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• crazycarl54
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123958 by crazycarl54
Replied by crazycarl54 on topic Terrelogic Dryad Tree-Tent
http://www.terrelogic.com/about.htm

More
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123959 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Terrelogic Dryad Tree-Tent
I bought one a little over a year ago, and was going to take it on a trip down to the central american rainforest.
The day I received it, I hooked it up only 4 feet off the ground got inside and heard a scaryyyyy Ripppppppp, the seams came unglued and the stiching started to tear. Upset that I was, l decided to leave it up for night since it was calling for rain. (I selpt inside the house that night) The next morning I got up went to check on the drYad and there was a puddle of water inside it from the leaky roof. AHHHH, I decided to call terrelogic and ask them about these problems, perhaps I just got a bunk one. Well when I called their phone was out of service with no new contact number. They seemed to have vanished, I tried contacting them for a week-still no service, the phone was dis-connected!
(3 strikes - your out!)
After searching the internet (all things are possible on the net) I found the desiger/inventor of the drYad and called him at home. Boy was he surprised.
Told him my problems and he wanted to trade out a new one with me, I told him to forget it that I just wanted my $$ back, he was quite rude and refused to give the $$ back until it could be provened that it was a sewing error.
I sent it back and after 2months I was re-creditied on my creditcard and am still waiting for the extra shipping charges to be reimbur. to me.

Thats my drYad experience, and my 2cents worth, I'd givin ya 5cents worth but Im still waiting for my refund.

I do know of someone else who had a better experience with them, but after time the seams still started to come apart, and I know that he wouldn't trust it at any real height to sleep in.

Any one else tried one out??

Great design, just put together very shabby.:(

Ill stick with my treeboat anytime:D

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

• jmaher
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123961 by jmaher
Replied by jmaher on topic Terrelogic Dryad Tree-Tent
I own a DrYad and have spent quite a few nights in the thing. My body weight is considerably less than Tengu's, however, so it didn't come apart the first time I crawled into it! It took several nights aloft before the thing started to destruct.

I will say that the design is fantastic! The workmanship, as reported by Tengu, is not up to snuff, however. This would be a wonderful piece of equipment if someone with a better quality ethic were to produce the thing. Heavier material, better stitching, better waterproofing. I would buy another one in a heartbeat but only if it were produced at a higher standard of quality.

My two cents worth!

• Patrick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123962 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Dryad
A fellow Arbor Quest Unlimited climber named Dennis has a Dryad. He echoes the previous concerns over quality of the workmanship. His Dryad seems to have held up a little better than Joe and Tengu's, but the seams are not well done in the factory. Dennis waterproofed it again, and it seems to be working pretty well. He added two windows and a vent to the fly, because when the fly is completely closed, it is really enclosing and vapor management is a problem. By the way, he uses a piece of foil-bubble-foil (insulating material from Home Depot) on the floor of the Dryad, then usually a piece of egg-crate mattress pad on top of that.

He is about 5'7" and the Dryad fits him and his sleeping bag fine. I'm 6'3", and I feel like I'm in a coffin when I'm in it. YMMV.

Of course, if you find a shelter you like, you'll need to wear a harness and stay attached to the rope if you're sleeping at height. In other posts, several of us talked about sleeping in a rock climbing harness (less snaps, rings, etc) instead of the New Tribe saddle.
Patrick

• crazycarl54
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123963 by crazycarl54
I definetly plan on sleeping in a harness, and it sounds like the Dryad is NOT going to be the tree-tent of choice... The problem I have with tree boats is the sleeping-on-my-back factor... They dont look like side-sleeping -- especially for another tall guy (6'3) is very comfy.
All I really want is a LARGE, flat, portaledge-like floor, a run-of-the-mill 2 person tent on top, and an overall weight under 12 pounds. It just doesnt seem like it would be so hard!

More
19 years 8 months ago - 19 years 8 months ago #123964 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Terrelogic Dryad Tree-Tent
New Tribe does make a "LongBoat" its a longer version of the treeboat, I'm 6'2 and have very little trouble sleeping on my side in the regular treeboat, I do pull my rope up into the treeboat and place it under my knees for more support, it molds nicely around my legs and makes the ZZZs in the Treez a relaxing nocturnal experience.
Over the past 11 years and about 150 overnight experiences in the trees I always go back to the treeboat.

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

• crazycarl54
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 7 months ago - 19 years 7 months ago #123976 by crazycarl54
Does the tree-boat design allow for sleeping on your side comfortably? I have only seen pics of people sleeping on their backs... Which just isn't comfortable for me... The whole design just looks to loose and saggy... I would love to be convinced otherwise, but I haven't seen anything to really sell me on a tree-boat yet.

• jmaher
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 7 months ago - 19 years 7 months ago #123977 by jmaher
Replied by jmaher on topic Terrelogic Dryad Tree-Tent
I always sleep on my side in my treeboat and the only problem I encounter is that of having my whole body slide toward the center of the treeboat so that I end up with my knees in front of my nose and have to turn onto my back in order to stretch out again before rolling back onto my side. This is not nearly as bad as it sounds. The only problem is that when I'm half asleep I sometimes forget which way to roll and end up with my climbing rope wrapped around my body.

The DrYad is much more comfortable for sleeping, but until they build one with better workmanship than the one I have I won't sleep in the thing up high.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds