Back Therapy

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 10 months ago #134638 by 2chops
Back Therapy was created by 2chops
Here's one for anyone who has had to deal with lower back issues. Last year while cutting brush for ROW clearance, my lower back decided to take a hike. To make a long story short, I feel like I got the boots put to me by a bunch of thugs now, every time I do any kind of ground work. Yes, I lift with my legs not my back. Anyhow, I've noticed that after I get done with a climb I feel great. I ve been keeping track of the overall condition of my lumbar region before and after I climb ever since the injury. I've even made it a point to go for a climb any time the pain flairs back up. (Great excuse to get out for a few hours.) For me the results have been consistant.
Has any one noticed a similar benefit. If so, I think we could have an activity to present to the local physical therapists as an "in addition to" exercise.
Any thoughts?

Ron.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #134647 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Back Therapy
Tree climbing has done tremendous good for my old back injury. I think one of the benefits from tree climbing is overall core strengthening, which never hurts a back problem. I do a stretching exercise routine every morning, combined with tree climbing everything stays ship-shape.
-moss

More
10 years 4 months ago #136270 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Re:Back Therapy
Having done physical work all my life I'm familiar with back problems. However, I've found the best remedy for a sore back is to keep moving (a more acute case does require rest.) The large body movements of carpentry work, and climbing are good therapy (keeping in mind one's limitations!) Bench work,on the other hand, causes trouble. But lately, I have noticed some pain in the area of my kidneys, just under my ribs, which I think might be related to climbing. I wonder if the padded back of my harness has dug in and caused some bruising. What do you think?

• 2chops
  • 2chops's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #136277 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Back Therapy
@dogwood...It is possible that your hip belt dug in and activated your kidneys. When I was trimming and had to stretch for a branch that put me in a bit of a twisted position, I could feel it in my kidneys. What I like to do when I climb is do a few bat hangs for at least a minute each. Puts things back on place.

More
10 years 4 months ago #136278 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Back Therapy
Thanks 2chops, I'll have to give that a try!

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds