Tree Rating Index

• roth_wyatt
  • roth_wyatt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #136133 by roth_wyatt
Tree Rating Index was created by roth_wyatt
As a frequent rock climber and tree climber and understanding that rock climbing has a climbing index and tree climbing does not, but tree climbing is not for getting to the top but the features on the way Tree climbing needs a rating index about how nice this type of tree is to climb features of the particular tree difficulties perks and just general things that should go into such a scale such as:
Difficulty of setup, did small branches prevent easy throwline access?
Height of rope ascent to bottom branches, Long and difficult or short and easy
Branchwalking, was it possible

anyone have any others?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #136138 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Tree Rating Index
Welcome aboard Roth. Actually, we do have a difficulty rating system. Treeman came up with it as far as I know. He based it on the rock climbing/mountaineering system. 1 being basically not worth the time. And 5 being the hardest. Many factors play into how one rates the tree. I don't know if it's listed on the TCI site any where, but if you buy one of the TCI climb log books you'll find it in there. One thing about a trees rating is that it can change. A tree that you may rate as a 3 on a sunny day in June may be a 5+ in December simply because of weather conditions and how much snow or ice may be coating the branches. Also factoring in is your experience. I know trees that I would have given 4 are now only a 2.5 at best simply because I have a lot more time in the saddle since then. Plus after a few times up in the same tree gives you a familiarity that can knock down a rating some. So it's sort of a floating scale. But better than nothing. Have fun lad.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by 2chops. Reason: spelling error

• roth_wyatt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #136219 by roth_wyatt
Replied by roth_wyatt on topic Tree Rating Index
I wasn't really meaning difficulty like the rock climbing scale but more of if it was worth the time like a 1 star to 5 star rating system

More
10 years 5 months ago #136220 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Tree Rating Index

roth_wyatt wrote: I wasn't really meaning difficulty like the rock climbing scale but more of if it was worth the time like a 1 star to 5 star rating system

I think you're on to something. I could show you say 5 white pine roughly 120' tall. Every one challenging to climb but one has amazing crown structure and a superb view in a beautiful woods setting. The tree ranks high in climbing enjoyability but is no less or more difficult than the other 4 trees.
-AJ

• roth_wyatt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #136221 by roth_wyatt
exactly, most people are not climbing because its difficult you climb because its fun. The industry is all about ease of use if something takes to much energy you don't enjoy the view as much. like a one to five star system like for resturants but for trees! but then you would need to publish the info on a website that has location and tree info or something along the lines of that. Like a geocache listing site with difficulty and reviews and location but for trees!

More
10 years 5 months ago #136222 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Tree Rating Index
Well... everyone climbs trees for different reason, and combinations of reasons. I like serious challenge/difficulty, and I like a beautiful tree. And what I think is beautiful (a super gnarly conifer) another climber may think is unappealing.

As far as publishing tree locations goes, that's a tough one. A particularly fine tree can be like a favorite fishing hole, the less you advertise it the more likely it stays a great fishing hole. For example I have some favorite trees that are in delicate habitat. I might visit the tree once every three years, or less. If I published the location there is a strong chance that the ground around the base of the tree would get trampled. It's a conundrum. I can't think of any experienced rec climbers who disclose locations of their favorite trees. Part of the fun and excitement of tree climbing is exploring and finding great trees of your own to climb.
-AJ

• roth_wyatt
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 5 months ago #136223 by roth_wyatt
well most trees that would involve a hike t are your own discovery but if your in a park and I can walk by and realize your above me in the tree while I'm going for a stroll maybe its not as secure of a location. Its like if you have a prized fishing spot in the middle of plain site and tons of fisherman can see you while fishing from other parts of the lake/river. some people would enjoy others opinions about a public tree but always keep the best trees to yourself and if you bring a friend make sure you drive him there in a white van with a bag over his head.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds