So...what do YOU do once you get into the trees?

• NoSweat88
  • NoSweat88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 22 hours ago #136535 by NoSweat88
As a newbie ( well..maybe just a "buff " at this point since I have yet to make it into the trees) I was wondering what different activities are done once you make it into the canopy? What is there besides just "being" there?

I will personally do camping and, more often, just sit there and read a book or something similar.

I've watched Treebark and Tim Kovar's dinner in the trees looks interesting. So does some of the swinging or traversing from tree to tree.

What else is there?

Looking for some interesting and unique answers.

NS88

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 hours ago #136537 by Bushwhacker
Replied by Bushwhacker on topic So...what do YOU do once you get into the trees?
Tree Camping (With Hammocks)!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoSweat88

More
10 years 5 hours ago #136539 by Tree-D
I take 3-d pix with a stereo camera! (Using actual film!)

It's hard for me to just relax and sit, so I also like to watch/help other climbers (I'm probably destined for instructor training), and I also like to try to traverse between trees, just to see if I can do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoSweat88

• NoSweat88
  • NoSweat88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 3 hours ago #136540 by NoSweat88
Replied by NoSweat88 on topic So...what do YOU do once you get into the trees?

Tree-D wrote: I take 3-d pix with a stereo camera! (Using actual film!)

It's hard for me to just relax and sit, so I also like to watch/help other climbers (I'm probably destined for instructor training), and I also like to try to traverse between trees, just to see if I can do it.

That's AMAZING!!!!

The film part.... B)

More
9 years 11 months ago #136541 by 2chops
A variety of things. As a musician, I always have one of my harmonicas on me. Don't laugh. In my hands it ain't a toy and I'm pretty good. Sometimes I read and have lunch. At my age I do so enjoy a good nap. I nestle onto a suitable limb or crotch and zonk out. A hike around the canopy is fun. Working my way around the tree as far out from the trunk as I safely can. Sometimes I take pics of the area or wild life. On windy days it's fun to just hang out and "tree surf".
The following user(s) said Thank You: karinholm, NoSweat88

More
9 years 11 months ago #136548 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic So...what do YOU do once you get into the trees?
Letting the breeze blow bubbles off the wand and watch how far away they float is always entertaining.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karinholm, rskybiz, Nimbadon

More
9 years 7 months ago #136930 by Nimbadon

TreeTramp wrote: Letting the breeze blow bubbles off the wand and watch how far away they float is always entertaining.

I'm doing that next climb!!!!!!!
Thank you

More
9 years 7 months ago #136934 by rskybiz

TreeTramp wrote: Letting the breeze blow bubbles off the wand and watch how far away they float is always entertaining.

Nice. Idea I can see my wife getting a kick out of that while we are aloft! Thanks for the great idea!

More
9 years 7 months ago #136942 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic So...what do YOU do once you get into the trees?
The credit goes to genevieve summers who helped Peter get this going years ago. She passes out small bottles of bubbles at her climbs just like they do at weddings. UberFUN!
The following user(s) said Thank You: karinholm

More
9 years 7 months ago #136944 by bradypus
Trying to reach difficult spots, training myself to technical gear uses, limb walk, swinging, tree surf, training others, sharing tree climbing and tree love with them, chating is also great, taking pictures, cuting a leaf to make an herbarium, setting a hamac for a nap... and above all my favorite is just observing vegetal or animal lifes, and meditating.

We can do a lot of things up there and it's a physic and soul experiment so you can do the same things again and again it's never the same. It is present, it is life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karinholm, Upaboveclimber

More
9 years 7 months ago #136964 by Treeclimber1
Replied by Treeclimber1 on topic So...what do YOU do once you get into the trees?
I usually sit there, hang out, watch the wind blow through the leaves, and such. When I climb palm trees, however, I sometimes like taking a picture or two of the scenery from the top of the palm tree and maybe even an occasional video.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #136966 by yoyoman
Watch nature.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by yoyoman. Reason: non compliant remarks.

More
9 years 7 months ago #136967 by yoyoman
Forgot to mention, make a zip line, make an elevator, make a swing...ok, I really need to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bradypus

More
9 years 7 months ago #136993 by treeman
I sometimes bark at people. People never think to look up. Dogs don't climb. Dogs get just as confused. Where IS that dog? Make sure you pull up your ropes to do this little trick.

I usually find myself hunting out dead branches so I can make my tree safer and more healthy. It's that "being productive" mindset I learned as a professional climber. BTY- make sure you hand throw dead wood out of the tree so you won't scar the tree with a falling branch or hurt anyone in or near the tree.

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
9 years 5 months ago #137121 by dogwood
The other day I got up into a neighbor's Pecan tree, which was all grown in with Wisteria and grape vines. I used a 30' lanyard and a 15' lanyard, and moved all around in that tree, up to the top and out to the tips, and using a pruning saw and a pair of nippers I got just about all of that stuff out of there. Now I have a couple of trailer loads of brush to haul off. It's a pretty little tree, and with a little TLC, it should have a long and happy life.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds