• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 9 months ago #136750 by Davej
Knots, knots, knots was created by Davej
Hello all,

Haven't been around this website or climbed for the past few years so here I am re-learning all of my knots. As I re-learn them I am curious about some of the particulars of these knots. I remember that Ashley's is the Bible of knots, but I wonder how much modern testing techniques are being used to prove or disprove the "goodness" of some of these knots and especially to rate them by order of "goodness?" Is it pointless to know six different bends?

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #136751 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Knots, knots, knots
Understand that the following is my opinion. Yes, it is pointless. For climbing all you need to know is the Blake's hitch, figure eight, anchor hitch and/ or the double fisherman's loop. For good measure the slip knot and prusik. For general practical purposes add a bowline and running bowline. There. That's it. If you're doing SRT then ask some of the gear wizards here what all you may need for that.

I like to keep my system real simple.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #136753 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic Knots, knots, knots
Here's a knot (bend) I use when I want to extend the length of my climbing line, called the Vice Versa knot, or Reever bend. There is some esoteric discussion about which is which, and I've found that pretty hard to fathom. In this case, I joined 50' of Hi Vee to my 150' Arrowfrog climbing line, as I needed the extra length to set a basal anchor. I like everything about it. It's easy to tie, and relatively easy to untie after it's been loaded. If you look closely, you can see that the loaded portion of both parts describes a straight line.
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by dogwood.

More
9 years 9 months ago #136754 by Tree-D
Replied by Tree-D on topic Knots, knots, knots
How comfortable to you feel if that knot/bend gets totally unloaded and is far below you and out of view? Maybe your answer is "very," but I use a triple-fisherman for such a job, and feel very comfortable about that.

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #136755 by dogwood
This is a picture of the knot on the way back down. After being loaded and unloaded a few times, it remained unchanged. So, to answer your question, I feel comfortable with it.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by dogwood.

More
9 years 9 months ago #136756 by Tree-D
Replied by Tree-D on topic Knots, knots, knots
I remain unconvinced. No offense intended! Maybe if it were backed up by having the tails double-fisherman'ed onto their own loaded parts? Although--at that point--I'd be back to thinking a triple-fish ain't broke so I wouldn't fix it. And since this thread started with the question of how to keep from learning more knots than are really necessary, I think this falls into the category of more than are really necessary.

More
9 years 9 months ago #136757 by dogwood
No offense taken! In the business and sport of tree climbing, we are literally putting our lives on the line, so we want to make sure we're not being foolhardy. If you look into it, you'll find that this knot is quite highly regarded. That being said, for me, learning and trying new things is a necessary part of what tree climbing is all about. That does entail taking risks, but they're calculated risks. So I go into this with thought and reverence. I like the rule about trying new things low and slow! I'm very comfortable with the double fisherman's loop, or scaffold knot, as a life line connection to my saddle.

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 9 months ago #136765 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Knots, knots, knots
That is indeed an interesting knot.

As a general question I wonder what sort of bend radius would keep a rope from losing significant strength?

More
9 years 9 months ago #136766 by dogwood
By the way, to give credit where credit is due, I believe I saw this first on one of Moss's posts on Canopy Chatter.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds