Adjusting a New Tribe Pro-Gear II Saddle

• JCB
  • JCB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #137325 by JCB
Hello All,

I'm a bit top heavy and am finding it somewhat difficult to keep myself in an upright sitting position in my New Tribe ProGear saddle. Unless my feet are against the tree, I tend to lean backwards more than I'd like.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on adjusting the various straps to maximize the sitting-up position. Or perhaps there are other tricks I am unaware of.

I know, nothing losing 40 pounds wouldn't help... I'm working on that. :silly:

Thanks very much!
John
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by JCB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137326 by rob2312
Replied by rob2312 on topic Adjusting a New Tribe Pro-Gear II Saddle
Just so you are aware I am new to this climbing thing (5 Months). But have just got in a chest harness with a ring to keep me in a more upright position. I am focusing more on srt climbing, so leaning back has been a issue for me as well. I got mine on the site Treestuff. I haven't tried it out yet as I have not had time. Initially I was using a neck tether with a carbineer to my hitch climber with a fisherman's knot (I had only one rope). The neck tether made me feel uncomfortable so I decided to get the chest harness to try out. Just my 2 cents :)

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #137327 by rob2312
Update: Just tried the chest harness and works for me. Eventually may have to make minor adjustments. Pic attached.
Attachments:

• rob2312
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #137346 by rob2312
Been using chest harness for a while now. Great product. Only cost $16. No issues. Simple and effective.

• JCB
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 9 months ago #137348 by JCB
Thank you for the follow-up, Rob. And your photo with the chest harness really tells the story.

I tried using a homemade version the other day but I felt too constrained. I climb doubled-rope but it still seems like the harness you're using would help as much as anything. I'll be sure to order one, but I'm currently under a self-imposed equipment-buying moratorium due to all my recent purchases.

Meanwhile, my experiments with optimizing my saddle's configuration continue. I'm starting to think that, because the Pro-Gear is actually a work saddle but based on a recreational design, it ends up not quite being either. But it's a well-built saddle and I really like it, and the fact is I will use it for work and recreation. I'm sure I'll find the sweet spot one day.

Thanks again!

More
8 years 8 months ago #137373 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic Adjusting a New Tribe Pro-Gear II Saddle
Loosen those leg loops and see how you go.

• JCB
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #137432 by JCB
Thank you, Nimbadon,

In line with your suggestion, I looked at as many photos as I could find of folks hanging in recreational saddles. Indeed they appear to be sitting low in their saddles, thereby raising their rope connection higher and improving their center of balance.

I am gradually adjusting leg straps, hitch heights, and more, and becoming more comfortable over time.

Due to health reasons, I am unable to attend tree-climbing training and events in person. Therefore, I have relied on TCI's online courses, blogs, research, and suggestions like yours for enlightenment.

Thanks again,
John Branco
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nimbadon

More
8 years 8 months ago #137435 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic Adjusting a New Tribe Pro-Gear II Saddle
Just keep playing around until you find the sweet spot,
as with any new set ups tests it low and slow before you go

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds