What comes around goes around

• jimw
  • jimw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
19 years 3 months ago - 19 years 3 months ago #124745 by jimw
What comes around goes around was created by jimw
A funny thing happened on the way from the Forum.

I previously had let it be known that I was not going to pay the TCI membership fee, and was willing to be “banned” from posting on TCI’s Forum. However, several days ago, I received an e-mail from Patty telling me that an anonymous person had paid my fee.

What a surprise! I was flattered, a bit confused, and truly at a loss for words.

I still am.

I certainly am grateful to the donor. Whoever you are, please accept my sincere thanks.

But what to do? I considered declining (graciously) and requesting that the money be returned to the donor. That was because I was displeased—even a bit offended—with TCI by the manner in which the fee was imposed, and because I believe that P&P did not really listen with the intent of hearing/understanding what so many of us were saying about that. I previously explained all that, also.

But someone out there apparently wants my voice heard here, so here I am. I’ll continue to do what I did (the previous paragraph shows that).

Now , to the topic of this thread, “What comes around goes around.” (Yes, I reversed it on purpose.) When one performs a kindness (or any act), the far-reaching results are unpredictable. Chaos theory—the butterfly in Brazil causing the tornado in Kansas, etc.

Thanks again to my benefactor. I want you to know that one difference your generosity has made is that I have decided to repay your gift tenfold as a donation toward relief efforts for the tsunami victims. Further, I encourage each of you to do what you can for this effort.

I have some minor involvement in providing relief for disasters, and one of the things we know is that although the initial support usually is very good, those not directly involved fairly quickly move on to other things, yet assistance usually is required for a long time. Those affected by the tsunami will need our assistance for a very long time. Please help.

Peace.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124887 by bareroots
Replied by bareroots on topic What comes around goes around
jim,

what can we do. I've already donated, what else can we do? i can't leave home; my wifes a few weeks away from birth. The appeal has enough funds for now don't they? i heard reports they couldn't spend what they have. they need volunteers don't they?

seek treedom

More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124889 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic What comes around goes around
Patty and Peter also told me that I got a scholarship. Up until today my log-on was messed up. Now that I have the passkey, I wanted to thank my benefactor too.

Over the last couple of days I've been in touch with a lawyer about an issue. After talking, faxing and a phone consultation everything is ship shape and Bristol bright. When I asked how much I owed for the consultation I was told, nothing. I guess that a tiny bit of the free consults I did for clients and neighbors has paid off :)

Tom

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• jimw
  • jimw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
19 years 2 months ago - 19 years 2 months ago #124916 by jimw
Replied by jimw on topic What comes around goes around
Sorry for the tardy reply, bareroots. In addition to having been out of town for a few days, I also have been awaiting a reply from the U.S. Red Cross: I asked them several days ago if their "coffers were full" inasmuch as tsunami-relief contributions are concerned. I have received no response from them.

Via a Google search, I did discover a few interesting things: First, Amazon accepted contributions; one could contribute just like buying a book from them--just charge it. According to their web site, these totaled almost $16M (USD) from over 190,000 contributors; that's about $83 per contributor.

Next, the Australian Red Cross's web site says
With your support, we’re on track to raise around $100 million. We believe this is enough to meet immediate emergency needs as well as medium and long-term programs for recovery, rehabilitation and disaster preparedness.
end quote

The Canadian Red Cross says
Red Cross is confident we’ll have enough to complete our tsunami relief, recovery and rehabilitation programs over the next ten years.
end quote

Both of those reports are about a month old.

So, bareroots, to my surprise, indeed the outpouring of support has been excellent! I glad you asked the question.

As far as for their need for volunteers for the tsunami effort, I haven't found anything at all. I'm sure they always can use volunteers in some capacity.

Finally, others may still be looking for contributions (I would guess that no one will refuse them!). I made mine to Project Hope and Habitat for Humanity.

I’m sure your contributions and thoughts/concerns/prayers are most valuable to the victims.

Peace.

Jim

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds