What do the posting people here do for a living?

More
15 years 9 months ago #131734 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:What do the posting people here do for a living?
Up until the end of last year I worked for a company supplying sustainable building products. I designed wind driven ventilation schemes for commercial and education establishments. It was certainly the right business to be in with our increasing awareness of our effect on the planet. The company tripled in size in the 5 years I was there.

However I am now living off my savings for a couple of years while I become a composer and write my first album (finally). Music first, trees second, work last ;)

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #134936 by 2chops
So michael, how's the album/CD comming along? What kind of music are you working with?

As far as my reply to the "?"...

I've been a DJ/news Director for a few years in the past. Did manufacturing for 15 years, aircraft refueler for a while, professional Launderer, (fluff & fold) :laugh: and for the past 6 1/2 years I've been an arborist. I think I got them all.

I've been around a bit.

Ron

More
13 years 5 months ago #134951 by jfqtrees
Lead Arborist at wild animal park , certified arborist , cert tree worker and cert CTSP , also a football coach and a mma trainer ....

life is great , later in SO-CAL :laugh:

More
13 years 5 months ago #134953 by canadiantreeman
Replied by canadiantreeman on topic Re:What do the posting people here do for a living?
I'm a arborist plying the trade here in the Okanagan of beautiful BC, Canada.

Life is good!

More
12 years 8 months ago #135499 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic Re:
Good to see this thread is still alive.
A lot of the posts here show parallel lines to recreational tree climbing, but there are a few that have no connection what-so-ever.
Before I discovered Rec Tree Climbing I had little connection to the great outdoors. I was heavy industry orientated only. I have since learned how important forests (or a single tree) is to our environment.

We are all kinds of people doing all kinds of things, but mostly climbing trees!
Thank you TCI

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #135511 by treeman
An engineer gone rogue musician. That sounds like a good fit.

So tell us a little bit about the music you make. What is the genera? Do you have a genera? Is it rock 'n roll? New age? Classical? Folk? A mix? Tell us more. Inquiring climbers want to know.

Do you have a home recording studio? Just curious. And most importantly, what software are you using to record your music? Logic?

I think, in my own humble opinion, you should record a short track and put it into an MP3 file. Then share it with us. Yes, plugs are accepted here prior to album release. What do you think? You know we are rooting for you. And there are lots of tree climbing musicians out there too. That is a fact.

Peter

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by treeman.

More
12 years 8 months ago #135513 by 2chops
Peter, I'm guessing that you're referring to michael & his musical endevor. Again I say, yo michael, how's it going? I'm still curious also about what kind of music he's into. I've recently gotten up the courage to do my blues harp thing publicly. A friend of mine has a perpetual open mic @ his pizza shop here in town. So I go in from time to time & noodle around for an hour or so. I've gotten a lot of encouraging feedback from Kurt & his customers. I.e.they haven't locked the doors when they see me making my approach. :laugh: We all have a good time.

Having said all that, let me encourage you to put it out there and have a good time.

Ron

More
12 years 8 months ago #135521 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:What do the posting people here do for a living?
Sorry I didn't reply originally Ron - the subject of my album was a sore point:

My money ran out with my album far from done and I had to get another job in engineering, which took me ages in this economic situation.

On the bright side I have avoided having to move out of my lovely place in the country and now work 10 minutes away, also in the countryside, designing telecommunications masts. It's a mixture of theoretical engineering, technical drawing and hands-on fabrication. This mix suits me. I find it hard to sit at a desk for long.

I sometimes do tree hunting and measuring for the local conservation board and for the Tree Register of the British Isles (on a voluntary basis of course) and am starting to plan an expedition to Russia to find Europe's tallest trees.

Regaring the music, I play guitar (electric mainly). I like all kinds of music spanning several centuries and all styles and countries. My many (mostly unfinished) pieces span rock, jazz, classical, early music, Arabic, post modern, alien, enchanting, sinister, surrealist. Perhaps that's my problem. Do I spread myself too thin?

I also invent things. I've got several inventions in progress. A few of them relate to tree climbing equipment. I am considering patent protection for many of them (having seen the success of my 'Yella Grapnel') so I can't tell you about them yet.

Michael

More
12 years 8 months ago #135522 by michaeljspraggon
However, I currently have patent protection for one of my inventions, which is just entering the interntional phase. It is the world's fastest SRT system!

I call it the M-System. I am just putting a video together about it and will formally announce it shortly. I have achieved climb rates in excess of 200ft per minute without much effort. This system maxes out on ergonomic efficiency, speed and ease of use. Out of the bag it takes about 15 seconds to set up and start climbing!

I hope this wets your appetites!

Michael

More
12 years 8 months ago #135526 by 2chops
michael lad, good to hear from ya. Sorry to hear about the album hold up. I understand. I have a book manuscript that's been sitting on my shelf for 5 years now. It's edited and ready to print. All I have to do is take about 10 pictures for some of the technique explanations, a 30 minute task, and it's done done. And, of course, come up with the cash to get the actual publishing done. Even the more economical route of self publishing, which is the way I'm going, is out of the question at the moment.

Any youtube vids of your stuff available?

More
12 years 7 months ago #135531 by michaeljspraggon
I hope you find a way to get your book out to all of the people who could benefit from your expertise.

I've recently been looking at this guy whoteaches people how to get their message out and earn good money doing it. Search online for 'Brendon Burchard' or 'Experts Academy'

Of course, being an expert marketeer himself, he charges a lot for the brilliant advice he gives so I've only watched his free videos so far.

One thing you might benefit from is his online marketing advice. For example, finding a way to earn money by releasing your book online in installments and controlling it by users getting an account so that they can download chapters from the book. Have a page that gives an overview or a taster for free and then invite people to buy the downloads...there must be loads of ways to do it...

None of my music is online and it won't be for a while yet. At the moment, when I'm not working hard at my new job, I'm working on my international patent for the M-System, as my original application filed in the UK expires at the end of August. When I've done that I will edit the footage of me using it and show you all how it works!

Michael

More
12 years 4 months ago #135628 by crtreedude
I guess I will come out of the trees... we own tree plantations in Costa Rica, almost 900 acres of them. About 40% of that land is old growth trees, some incredibly large (it is the tropics, trees get really big here).

More
12 years 4 months ago #135629 by 2chops
I guess I have an update to my "living" status. I started a new job back in Sept. as a crew supervisor at a Christmas tree farm. I do a little of everything. I think one of the reasons I got hired was because of my ISA credential and the fact that I'm an experienced tree trimmer. About a month after I started there, they had an access road that needed elevated so the tractor/trailers could get up into the fields. I picked my groundman and did my thing. That was the best day there yet. 20 spike free climbs in only 8 hours. Cool gig.

Ron

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds