My bluebird box at the Tree Climbing Hostel

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 9 months ago #133850 by treeman
I am a bird watcher of sorts. Nothing compared to my wife Patty who maintains a life list. But I was raised with birder parents so it is in my genes I guess.

I have a dozen feeders at the Hostel. They all are different as far as what food I put in them. A wide variety of birds visit and hang around.

I also have a bluebird nesting box. It is in an open area of the front yard (all the feeders are out in front too), and is quite active as far as nesting. The bluebirds are on their second brood now.

This bluebird box has a special feature. I have it outfitted with a video camera. The line runs up to my front door and inside the front room where I can observe the bluebird behavior from the picture window. It also has audio so I get to hear what they have to say. The male has a vocabulary all his own.

The female started laying 6 days ago. I got to actually see her in the process of laying egg number 2 at 8am. She would lay an egg every other day. She has completed her clutch of eggs as they now total 4.

One of my feeders is a mealy worm cage. It has 4 trays. It is designed to be just the right size to let in a bluebird or smaller bird but keep out the other birds, like mocking birds that tend to take aver an area when the feeding is especially good.

So I have the cage door open now. I started putting out mealy worms a few days ago. The male perches just above the cage but has not discovered the worms yet. I do not know how long it will take for the male to get wise. Maybe when the female demands more feeding from his part. She is now starting to sit on the eggs.

One last thing. I have heard that bluebirds can be trained to feed. Some people whistle. Me- I'm using a small bell Kiwanis Club awarded me when I spoke to them a few years ago. The bell excites the dogs across the street however. I'm sure my strange neighbor thinks I am a bit off myself ringing a bell next to the feeder. In life everyone is a mystery to each other. I am curious as to how long it will be before he asks me what I am doing. Maybe he will never ask. Some mysteries are worth keeping just that way- a mystery.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #133856 by treeman
An additional egg laid today. That makes a total of 5 eggs.

I've named the female \"Blue Girl.\" The male \"Blue Boy\".

Blue Girl is now sitting on eggs for longer periods. She looks up at the camera lens too from time to time and I've even seen her wink. Patty rebelled when I suggested the name \"Sarah\". Probably something to do with the lack of designer eye wear.

The couple has refused to go into the cage for mealy worms. Looks like I will have to do an exposed feeder for the worms to get them started and share with all the other birds too. A real prize for my resident grackle couple.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by treeman.

More
14 years 8 months ago #133859 by icabod
Peter, you and Patty have to get that camera up live, I'm jealous!

Cam "Icabod" Taylor

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds