What is your favorite saw?

• thetangler
  • thetangler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
15 years 4 months ago #132744 by thetangler
What is your favorite saw? was created by thetangler
I am looking for chainsaw reccomendations. I have a Husky 16\" bar and it is a little bulky. Just renewed my ISA cert and have a few jobs lined up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #132745 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:What is your favorite saw for Arborists?
There is whole section on Trebuzz about saws, favorites and repairs, collections etc. Must of the Professional Arborists use Stihl Models 190 and up all the way to 200 for tree work . I seen them mention other larger saws for other purposes on the ground. B)
here is one of those comments
\"At the time, I also bought an 009, an 011, and a 012. They were useless except for limbing to feed the chipper anything but oak...but the 020's screamed. No breaks and solid metal cases, T handles. I know it was 1982 because I just moved to San Antonio and bought a tree service that came without saws and had to buy new. If I remember right...the metal 020's cost more than 600 each, way back then. I also bought the hedgetrimmer attachment that bolted right on, replacing the clutch cover.

Were they made in Germany only then?\": Posted by oakwilt.
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by oldtimer. Reason: trying to add a stihl photo

More
15 years 4 months ago #132778 by Tom Dunlap
Replied by Tom Dunlap on topic Re:What is your favorite saw for Arborists?
It HAS to be my Silky Zubat.

If I need power I have my Husky 335 sent up.

When the time comes to replace the 335 I'll more than likely get the current itteration of the Stihl 020/200. I know a couple of pro arbos who use the small Stihl but the rest of their fleet is Husky.

Strong limbs and single ropes!
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 4 months ago #132788 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:What is your favorite saw?
thetangler wrote:

I am looking for chainsaw reccomendations. I have a Husky 16\" bar and it is a little bulky. Just renewed my ISA cert and have a few jobs lined up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the Stihl 192T for in-tree pruning tasks
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS192TCE.html

My shoulders are getting tired of using a Silky hand saw (as good as they are) on non-rotted dead oak limbs and similar dense grained woods larger than 5-6\" diameter.
-moss

More
15 years 4 months ago #132789 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:What is your favorite saw?

moss wrote:
I'm leaning towards the Stihl 192T for in-tree pruning tasks

I have a 191t but it has never been right from day one. The 200t seems to be the absolute favorite.

More
15 years 3 months ago #132974 by woodjob
Replied by woodjob on topic Re:What is your favorite saw?
Beside Silky´s we work with the Stihl 200T (020T) and since over a year now we do our jobs with a SOLO 637. It ist the most powerful Tophandle on the Market and is our new \"must have\";)

Martin

More
15 years 3 months ago #132981 by moss
woodjob wrote:

Beside Silky´s we work with the Stihl 200T (020T) and since over a year now we do our jobs with a SOLO 637. It ist the most powerful Tophandle on the Market and is our new \"must have\";)

Martin

Yep, been hearing some good things about the Solo 637. Do you tweak the 637 to optimize performance or is it good-to-go off the shelf?
-moss

More
15 years 3 months ago #132994 by woodjob
Replied by woodjob on topic Re:What is your favorite saw?
moss wrote:

woodjob wrote:

Martin

Yep, been hearing some good things about the Solo 637. Do you tweak the 637 to optimize performance or is it good-to-go off the shelf?
-moss

The 637 has about 20% more power out of the box than a 200T.
No tuning needed;). Even if it looks a bit \"simple\", the 637 has some nice features. It´s starting and running great even at verry low temperatures right now.
We still run our 200T but the next saw will be a Solo 637 again.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 10 months ago #134580 by greenluck
Replied by greenluck on topic Re:What is your favorite saw?
For bucking the big stuff
Stihl 390 w/ 20" bar - heavy but lots of balls

For limbing on the ground and larger climbing jobs
Poulan pro 295 w/ 16" bar - cheap saw with lots of hours but still runs great, almost 10 years old!

For small climbing jobs
Echo CS-330t w/14" bar- small, light top handle, easy to start, feels like an extension of your arm.

For for very small dead limbs or smaller white pine branches
Dewalt 18v cordless Sawsall, or craftsman 19.2v cordless sawsall-
Don't laugh, this works great on small soft wood or dead limbs. Won't wear-out your arms like a hand saw. Don't knock it till you try it!

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #134582 by moss
greenluck wrote:

But of course this one! I actually climb with this, it's a sight to behold.

Then again I'm not a pro work climber so I can get away with it.

36" Disston bucking saw

-moss
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by moss.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 10 months ago #134603 by greenluck
moss wrote:

greenluck wrote:

But of course this one! I actually climb with this, it's a sight to behold.

Then again I'm not a pro work climber so I can get away with it.

36" Disston bucking saw

-moss

Do you use a scabbard with that bucking saw when you climb? And I thought some of the 17" hand saws were big...........

More
13 years 8 months ago #134734 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:What is your favorite saw?
Definately the Stihl 192t for canopy work. I used to use one of the old Echo trim saws. What a piece of junk. Never held an adjustment for more than a few trees. Frequently had to hold it horizontal to keep it from dogging out...while cutting off a branch. Uugghh.
I have a hand trim saw, but I see no need to put my shoulders through all that. Love the Stihl.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #134736 by greenluck
2chops wrote:

I used to use one of the old Echo trim saws. What a piece of junk. Never held an adjustment for more than a few trees. Frequently had to hold it horizontal to keep it from dogging out...while cutting off a branch. Uugghh.

A Stihl will make most saws including the Echos, look silly. The only top handle Stihl saw I've used in the tree is an older 015 with a top handle and no anti-vibe. I believe the 015 might be from the late 70's or early 80's, and was a loaner from my father. I should mention that that 015 still runs to this day, we actually used it last weekend for an hour or so.

My next saw will be a badly needed hand saw. such as Silky or Samurai.

2chops, if you were going to recommend a hand saw.....what would it be and why? Or maybe this, what hand saw do you currently have and would you buy it again or recommend it to someone?
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by greenluck.

More
13 years 8 months ago #134739 by 2chops
Replied by 2chops on topic Re:What is your favorite saw?
Well greenluck, the only hand saw I have is an inexpensive Corona folder that I bought at Lowes for $12,I think. I mainly got it to throw in the back of the Jeep for light trail/line of sight trimming. It works ok for what it is. However, I have been eyeing up the Silky/Sugoi. One reason being that it has a full tang. Knife fans will know the importance of this. I also like the little hook at the end of the blade. This comes in handy for when you want to hinge a branch hanging over something, and you want to help it get started on its swing back towards you. Also good for snagging small hangers that are just out of rea c h. I was at a shade tree conference last year and had the oppertunity to pickup a sugoi. The handle felt real good in my hand. Felt like it would stay in place on a hot, humid day. Would have bought it then except the cash was kinda low at that point. Hope this helps.

• greenluck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #134766 by greenluck
I picked up one of these to hold me over until I can order a Silky....Got it at home depot for around $19.99

Power Tooth® Softgrip® Pruning Saw (13")
saws (at bottom of page)

I'll let everyone know how it works.....
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by greenluck.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds