• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 1 month ago #136352 by treeman
The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC) was created by treeman
Hi all.

The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club was pulled back together in 2011 and now has about 25 members, some from nearby states, too. Some of us are old-timers, some of us are young 'uns. We climb together usually once a month, and once in a while we go on out-of-town overnights. We gather at the TCI Clubhouse for a business meeting before we set out to climb.

New members are always welcome. Inxperienced climbers will partner with an experienced climber. You must be able to climb DRT, but SRT is also okay.

Contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you're interested in joining our group. I'm the President of the ATCC this year (after Mantis served for a couple of years), and we're always on the lookout for new people to take the reins!

See you in the treetops!
Peter "Treeman" Jenkins

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #136355 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Hey Treeman,

Is there going to be a newsletter, or a heads up about meetings and getting together for a climb?

• treeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #136426 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
ATCC Calendar Climbs
Climbing season is upon us! It’s time to check our gear, learn new techniques, and head for the treetops. Listed below are scheduled climbs with themes for each climb. New techniques will be learned on the ground and then they will be applied in the trees. This will be your opportunity to branch out into new realms. Got an idea for a future theme? Speak up!

But wait! There’s more. Pop up climbs will suddenly appear and you have a chance to climb with a partner or the gang for social/learning/adventure expansion. What’s a pop up climb? It’s a climb someone presents to the club suddenly on a whim. It is always more fun and safer when climbing with a buddy. You can declare a pop up climb yourself and see what happens.

For me, I am looking forward to some pop up “Firefly Climbs”. I am already seeing mature fireflies crawling on the bark surfaces. The fireflies start at dusk and rise into the canopy in a coupled of hours. It’s a nighttime experience hard to forget. They usually show up in June.

The club has yet to talk about outings. We have some places to explore. Several members have trees and property a few hours away from Atlanta. Let’s talk about dates/locations at the next meting, huh?
For those of you that have let your ATCC dues fall behind, now is a good time to send in your money. It’s only $25. What a deal! Don’t miss out. For you out of towners, you need to keep up your destination possibilities by your modest annual membership dues for that time when you just have to escape to a climbing crowd that wants to see you.

Mail in your dues to:
Hank Blaustein
205 Plymwood Ct.
Roswell GA 30076

Make check out to: ATCC

Four-Month Calendar

Time: 10AM-4PM
Place: 1290 Merry Ln., Atlanta 30329

March 8
Theme: Gear Check.
Time to go through you gear and snoop around other folk’s gear. I’ll have some dry lubricant for those hesitating carabineers and a hacksaw for the carabiners that can’t get up to the task of speedy complete closure.
Then we’ll head for that mature forest behind the clubhouse for 100+ foot climbs. If the wind is up, we’ll take turns on “Breeze”, 115 feet of wiggly loblolly pine on the top of the hill!

April 13
Theme: Treeboat rigging. Everyone gets to set up a Treeboat on the ground and then it’s up into “Rosy Red Oak”, a 100 foot two leader southern red oak. A two-person team will work together to set up a line of Treeboats and then it’s lunch in the treetops!

May 3
Theme: Share tree climbing with a friend. This will be a facilitated climb where you get to invite a friend or two so they can see what it is like to be up in a big tree hanging out in the wind. This will be a great chance to bring in someone new to share the adventure of tree climbing.

June 22
Theme: King Grapnel hook and treetop-to-treetop traverses. Learn how to put a second DRT system in another treetop and glide on over to the neighboring tree or just pause for a while between trees hands free! Drop a tag line to the ground and you are set up for a “giant swing”. It’s safe (you are tied in twice) and it is entirely ballistic! Climb “Obama the Tree” and then set a rope in “Rosy Red Oak”. Then glide on over while 70 feet off the ground. Don’t forget to wave to mom, whether she is there or not!

Please note:
These are ATCC member climbing events. We like visiting climbers too, but you need to let us know you are coming.

Communication possibilities:
There is possibly an ATCC newsletter in the future.
FaceBook page is for members only right now. We are listed as: ATCC
You can talk to us right here too, on this Forum Board. Like, right here. How about that?
Any other tree climbing clubs out there? Tell us! We are friendly people here.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by treeman.

• treeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #136427 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Dogwood,
If you are a ATCC member you will get notifications for pop-up climbs and everthing else.

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #136429 by dogwood
Replied by dogwood on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Thanks Peter, I've been getting them!

More
9 years 3 months ago #137191 by yoyoman
Replied by yoyoman on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
ATCC rocks....and climbs!!!

More
8 years 8 months ago #137406 by rjones70
Replied by rjones70 on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Is the group still active?

More
8 years 8 months ago #137407 by yoyoman
Very active.

More
8 years 8 months ago #137408 by yoyoman
Very active. We post a lot on Facebook.

More
8 years 8 months ago #137409 by rjones70
Replied by rjones70 on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Thanks, was curious as the last posts were 6 months and 16 months ago.

RJ

More
8 years 8 months ago #137410 by patty
Replied by patty on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Hi RJ--
As YoYoMan said, the Atlanta Tree Climbing Club is alive and well. They meet about once a month for outings. You can contact them via the Climbing Clubs page on our website. Most of their communication is via their Facebook page.

All the best,
patty

More
8 years 2 months ago #137593 by broadtree
Replied by broadtree on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Hello ATCC from the Northwest:

A couple of us up here are going to try a pull together a local club (Puget Sound, Western Washington, or ?) and have an initial question. Maybe you can share your experience.

For starters, do you have bi-laws etc like the BATCC (Bay Area Tree Climber Club) has on the TCI website? Whatever you have, could you share it?

Thanks
Art Pederson

More
8 years 2 months ago #137594 by yoyoman
Great to hear Art!
I'm sure we can get you info

More
8 years 2 months ago #137595 by patty
Replied by patty on topic The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC)
Hi Art,

Thanks for asking -- great to hear that you're thinking of organizing a club up in Washington. Yoyoman/Richard (ATCC's new President) is right! (He knew I was going to answer you post when he replied.) We're happy to help out with information. The Atlanta Tree Climbing Club (ATCC) has Bylaws and Rules which we're happy to post here; I'll get the most up-to-date versions as soon as I can and put them up. The Bay Area Club's Bylaws were fashioned after the ATCC's, but I haven't looked to see if/how they're different.

Check out the ATCC's Facebook page if you haven't seen it already. It is a VERY active club. It meets once a month almost without fail, and for the last several months one or two of its members has been demonstrating a new technique or gear at the meeting before they go out climbing together. Last Sunday despite 35-degree temps, there were 17 people who came out to watch Max demonstrate the French foot-locking method and Richard show some new gear -- before they went climbing (pictures on Facebook). In February they're taking their annual trip down to Gainesville, Florida where Danny Lyons/Canopy Climbers will be hosting them for a weekend of challenging climbs in live oaks and bald cypresses. They meet at the TCI Club/Guest House, but the club is independent of TCI in every way.

I know there are PLENTY of climbers who would probably be interested in participating. You may remember that your membership in TCI gives you access to our Climber Finder, through which you can contact anyone who is also a member of TCI as an initial list of people to get in touch with. Hopefully you know others who would be interested, too.

All the best, and I'll get back to you soon,
patty

More
8 years 2 months ago #137596 by yoyoman
In a word.....ATCC ROCKS!!!!...couple of words I guess.
And I'm sure it will just keep getting better, meeting with other clubs such as you have planned would be an awesome future activity.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds