Bay Area Tree Climbers

• Tree-D
  • Tree-D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #136353 by Tree-D
Bay Area Tree Climbers was created by Tree-D
We've got about 15 climbers from the San Francisco Bay Area in our new Bay Area Tree Climbers group on Facebook. There are many of us who just started climbing in 2013, as well as a few arborists/instructors/facilitators/researchers who have a lot more experience. At least a few of us get together about once a month to climb. Recently, we have mostly been climbing in young redwoods (less than 200 years old... 180 feet or so tall) down near Santa Cruz. Since winter hasn't really arrived here in California... we just keep climbing. Let me know if you'd like more information about our climbs and/or our Facebook group. And if you come visit the area, come climb with us!

-Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tree-D
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136354 by Tree-D
Replied by Tree-D on topic Bay Area Tree Climbers
I also sent private messages to about 9 people who I found via TCI's Climber Finder that were within 10 miles of where I live... Oakland, CA. No replies yet, but that was only two weeks ago. Maybe most climbers are hibernating in January.

Patty also suggested I post a link to that Facebook group, but that group is private/closed. It easy enough to add folks who want to join! Let me know and we can make that happen! In the mean time... I'll post notices about upcoming climbs here for any non-Facebook climbers.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Tree-D. Reason: Add note about Facebook.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136362 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Bay Area Tree Climbers
Thanks Dennis for your post. I know you have a FaceBook page but it would be cool if you could post here from time to time about some of your climbs.

Our club has a FaceBook page as well. You can find us at ATCC. That's the Atlanta Tree Climbing Club page.

You have access to the tallest trees in America. Lucky you. We top out in Atlanta at 140 feet- Tulip Poplar trees.

Cheers,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

• Tree-D
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #136363 by Tree-D
Will do! It'd be great to meet more climbers, and climb together!

More
10 years 1 month ago #136421 by JoeRapanut
Replied by JoeRapanut on topic Bay Area Tree Climbers
hello to folks who live in the Bay area, Well I live in hayward. my name is Joe im a ISA cert Arborist and cert tree worker . I am really new to the ON line e-mail computer stuff and must apologize, for any late response's .. I am a new member TCI and very happy to know that so many people want to climb just for fun ! I am registered as the new guy LOL I've got a little over 20 years in the tree's and love to learn what new and would like to share what i enjoy doing, just being in the trees

• Tree-D
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 1 month ago #136435 by Tree-D
Hey there Joe! We've got some local classes this month (March), and then hopefully we can plan some local climbs that you might like to join! I will keep you posted here !
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoeRapanut

More
10 years 1 month ago #136436 by JoeRapanut
Replied by JoeRapanut on topic Bay Area Tree Climbers
wow that way cool thanks for the update

• Tree-D
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
8 years 9 months ago #137411 by Tree-D
Just saw Atlanta shout out a hello, and realized it's been too long since the Bay Area has spoken up!

We are also alive and well.

We hold a monthly club meeting (with pizza, salad, sodas, and sometimes cake).
We usually try to have a presentation during dinner before business. Some of the presentations have included:
- Lanyards.
- Bringing Tree Climbing to the Forest People of Ecuador.
- Recreational Climbing in Costa Rica with an amazing slide show.
- Measuring the tallest grove of hardwoods in North America (Eucalyptus on the UC Berkeley campus).
This month, we had a technique review: three versions of the Monkey Fist throwing-knot. Then our members were encouraged to practice with some rope I handed out. Our Secretary, Gary, did a good job of tying all three versions, so he won a prize: a pair of TreeStuff safety sunglasses!

We have a club member, TCI instructor James Reed, who is hosting climbing events on the first and third Sunday of every month to raise money for his Ecuador project !
On July 5th, three of us (two TCI Facilitators and a TCI Instructor) spent all day facilitating. We put 19 people on rope for their first time! Ages 7-70, all in one day! Club members with climbing experience were invited to come to the event as well, and to climb in an adjacent oak. We all ate our picnic lunches at James' new picnic tables. It was a fun day.

That's the latest from the San Francisco Bay Area!

More
8 years 9 months ago #137420 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Bay Area Tree Climbers
Thanks Tree-D. It's good to see what you are doing out west. Having James and you working the club climbs is really super because of the training and experience you bring to the club. Super cool! Keep updating us on what is going on out west.

Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds