Favorite hand saw

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128734 by wildrice
Replied by wildrice on topic Favorite hand saw
I want to make clear that I am trying to have clear communication. So I hope I do not offend any one. If I do appologize.

I totally support what Wild Bill has stated. Please understand that State Parks and NPS Parks and other parks follow a "Leave No Trace Policy" (also known as wilderness eithics). One of the slogans is "Leave Only Foot Prints". If someone is cutting trees or limbs (in this case) then the Leave No Trace Policy has been broken.

Rangers and Naturalist and Environmentalist are the stewards of these areas. Many research projects, habitate restoration, and species of concern and protected have to be included in any type of resource managment issue. One issue of concern would be guest(backpackers, climbers, hikers, birders, etc) cutting trees or limbs regardless of thier expertise.

Rangers are dealing with a wide array of mangment issues and it does not help if someone is breacking our policies and rules. Just for the record-- It is illegal to cut, pick, collect, hunt, etc any plant, animal, rock, etc on a State Park/Hist. Site or NPS. the only exception is if you have requested a permitte and that permitte has been approved by DNR. The permitte has to be followed to the letter.

On a personaly note, I believe that if you have the skills and ability then you should be able to climb a tree without using a saw. If you do not want to have to deal with choker limbs, dead limbs, then that is why we have tame trees.

Mother Earth- Our Most Sacred Heirloom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128736 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Favorite hand saw

Originally posted by Electrojake
As for the “forest”. . .
I know they do exist and I’m sure to climb in one must be magnificent.

EJ say it aint so! We've got to get you out in the woods for a climb. Although I suspect that you've climbed in places where the trees have the qualities of those found in a wild forest.

I have a climbing spot in the city that is classic eastern hardwood forest type, big trees, dead limbs, vigorous understory, nice mix of species growing with minimal human intervention or disruption. The only thing that distinguishes it from deeper woods is that there are paved streets a hundred yards away. Us city dwellers must find our little pockets of tree joy. You can climb a tree that's surrounded by asphalt but once you're up in the tree you're transported to a slice of vertical wilderness.
-moss

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128738 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic Favorite hand saw
Thanks for the post WildBill, and others. You've given me some things to think about. I haven't ever had the opportunity to climb in a non managed wilderness area, so hadn't ever considered some of these things. Not what I was expecting when I opened a thread about handsaws!

• SRT-Tech
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago - 17 years 2 months ago #129119 by SRT-Tech
Replied by SRT-Tech on topic Favorite hand saw
great comments by all.

I recently pickd up a Fanno curved 17" saw, with Weaver sheath. 98% for work purposes, but i have used it to remove dangerrous limbs, in a non urban forest tree or two. Most times i carry my tiny folding saw...im considering purchasing th Spyderco Folding Saw, its sized like a large folder knife. .

More
4 years 7 months ago #139565 by Brianless
Replied by Brianless on topic Favorite hand saw
I have Sven folding saw . It does a pretty good job and is super easy to sharpen with a feather file. I am not convinced, however, that it is any different than a run of the mill drywall saw I just like it because I have the scabbard for it so it goes in my bag without tearing other things, the bag, or my fingers up. I also keep an 18V Milwaukee "Hackzall" on hand with some 'pruning' blades for roots only (also useful to have and metal cutting blades for the wire cages that I find when can't get a good cutting angle with the bolt cutters.)

More
4 years 6 months ago #139569 by Tree_Stooge
Replied by Tree_Stooge on topic Favorite hand saw
Personally I love the Silky, zubat

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds